Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Ions In Solution

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody ,

We know it is possible to accelerate ions through electric field , this is in case of " Gas Ions " ...

But , when we put some salt ( i.e : NaCl salt ) in water , we get Na+ ions and Cl- ions also ,

If we made a circular chamber containing this solution and applied electric field ,

Would the ions able to be accelerated in the solution ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you think is the mean free path of such ions in those types of mediums?

Zz.

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    I think it is very very small , but it just an idea ...

Assumed we have a lot of electrical energy , is that possible ?

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But what's the point of doing that? With a mean free path that is so short, what you gain in acceleration is destroyed by just a single collision in a very short amount of time. Why do you think our accelerators are typically in ultra-high vacuum conditions?

Zz.

6. Nov 8, 2012 #5
    yes I know , It is just an idea ... :)

Let's look in another way , we have this solution and there is a magnetic field applied on ...

So , a separation for charges ( Ions ) will occur , and we can get electricity from this process , right ?

7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Google for "double layer" and "Wien effect".

That's just to give you some starting point so that you can educate yourself and don't waste your time reinventing the wheel. What happens in the solutions when the electric field is applied is researched for quite long. Hardly surprising.

8. Nov 8, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When did "magnetic field" come into play here?

There are already simpler ways to separate ions, I'd that is what you are after.

I'm checking out of this one since I have zero clue on what this is all about.

Zz.

9. Nov 8, 2012 #8
    Can you list some of those ways , if you don't mind ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook