1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a block

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, i am preparing for an exam so the questions i am doing are only for my learining they will not be marked anyway

I already know that the answer is C) 0.5ms-2

what i need is an explanation, i don't understand how that answer was derived...

I thought it would be 6N but that wasn't an option

The question is an image attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2
    Why do you think would it be 6N? Did you form up the force equations?

Please show your work. :smile:

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    Oh *Face palm* its complicated to explain but i thought this question was asking something else. i now realize how utterly simple it is..

acc= 6/12 nd thats why it's 0.5.. OKay... So how do i know it was going downwards?

wouldn't it be 0.5 upwards since teh number is positive? Btw i have many more questions so if your gonna stick around i i have alot more to ask..

5. Jun 2, 2012 #4
    It doesn't matter what the sign is, what matters is which way you take your coordinate system. Now the bigger force is obviously acting downwards. So...there ya go :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook