Acceleration of a Boat Problem

In summary, the acceleration of a boat problem involves calculating the rate at which a boat's velocity changes over time. This can be done by analyzing the forces acting on the boat, such as the thrust from the engine and the resistance from the water, and using Newton's second law of motion. The boat's acceleration can also be affected by factors such as its weight, shape, and the water conditions. By understanding the principles of acceleration, boat operators can make informed decisions to maximize their speed and efficiency on the water.
dark4santa

Homework Statement

16. ) A row boat, starting from rest takes 11 seconds to travel 34 meters. If the boat maintains a uniform acceleration, what will be its instantaneous velocity at the end of the 11-second period??
17.) At the point in the stream where the boat is crossing, the stream is 202 meters wide. If the boat in Question 16 maintains its final velocity for the remainder of the trip, how much time will it need to reach the opposite Shore?
18.) What acceleration did the row boat initially experience in Question 16??

So this is a Question of my Teacher
Wherein i want to prove that I made the right answer. Can you please solve this ?? Because I am having difficulty in proving something without concrete evidence from other Physics geeks... I know this is a really easy problem but I need a more concrete proof. I have already done this but I am trying to make sure. My Teacher tried doing the constant velocity where in the equation is v=d/t

Homework Equations

d= vit + at^2/2
d= vt

The Attempt at a Solution

no.18)
d=vit+at^2/2
so since vi = 0 so i can remove vit
d=at^2/2
a=2d/t^2
a=2(34)/11^2
a= 68/121
a= 0.56m/s^2

no 16)
vf = vit + at
wherein vi = 0 so i can remove the vit in the equation
vf= at
vf= (0.56)(11)
vf= 6.16m/s or if i use the not rounded off part of .56m/s^2 6.18m/s

no 17)
d= 168
v= 6.16m/s
since the part wanted was the distance from the boat to the other shore which will be 202-34= 168
t=d/v
t= 168m/6.16m/s
t= 27.27s
or
t=168m/6.18/s
t= 27.18s

my Attempt
no. 16 . ) 6.16m/s
no. 17 . ) 27.27secs
no. 18 . ) a= .56m/s^2

My teacher's attempt
no. 16 . ) 3.09m/s
no. 17 . ) 56.38secs
no. 18 . ) 0.02m/s^2

I know my teacher is wrong already just looking at the Acceleration. I understand her because of the stress being put upon her though

I know the Significant Figures is wrong the reason for that is because my teacher wanted to have a 2 decimal at the end. I tried to argue with her but she's the teacher and she's a stubborn one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dark4santa said:

my Attempt
no. 16 . ) 6.16m/s 6.182 m/sec
no. 17 . ) 27.27secs 27.18 sec
no. 18 . ) a= .56m/s^2

My teacher's attempt
no. 16 . ) 3.09m/s
no. 17 . ) 56.38secs
no. 18 . ) 0.02m/s^2
You have to watch those significant figures. :smile:

The data showed only 2 sig figs, so strictly speaking you should give answers only to 2 sig figs. But if you round acceleration to 2 sig figs, you can't then give time to 4 sig figs and expect that extra precision to make sense.

Last edited:
Your answers more or less look correct, but you do not show how you arrived at the solution. Please show your work and we can check on the correctness of your attempt..

dark4santa said:

Homework Statement

16. ) A row boat, starting from rest takes 11 seconds to travel 34 meters. If the boat maintains a uniform acceleration, what will be its instantaneous velocity at the end of the 11-second period??
17.) At the point in the stream where the boat is crossing, the stream is 202 meters wide. If the boat in Question 16 maintains its final velocity for the remainder of the trip, how much time will it need to reach the opposite Shore?
18.) What acceleration did the row boat initially experience in Question 16??

So this is a Question of my Teacher
Wherein i want to prove that I made the right answer. Can you please solve this ?? Because I am having difficulty in proving something without concrete evidence from other Physics geeks... I know this is a really easy problem but I need a more concrete proof. I have already done this but I am trying to make sure. My Teacher tried doing the constant velocity where in the equation is v=d/t

Homework Equations

d= vit + at^2/2
d= vt

no.18)
d=vit+at^2/2
so since vi = 0 so i can remove vit
d=at^2/2
a=2d/t^2
a=2(34)/11^2
a= 68/121
a= 0.56m/s^2
yes
no 16)
vf = vit + at
wherein vi = 0 so i can remove the vit in the equation
vf= at
vf= (0.56)(11)
vf= 6.16m/s or if i use the not rounded off part of .56m/s^2 6.18m/s
yes but it should round off to 6.2 but if teacher wants it to 2 decimal places then use the 6.18
no 17)
d= 168
v= 6.16m/s
since the part wanted was the distance from the boat to the other shore which will be 202-34= 168
t=d/v
t= 168m/6.16m/s
t= 27.27s
or
t=168m/6.18/s
t= 27.18s
yeah...you need a nice stop watch to check your result to the nearest one-one hundreth of a second...say OK

I know my teacher is wrong already just looking at the Acceleration. I understand her because of the stress being put upon her though
I am sure she appreciates your understanding...I do...I've been wrong more than once...
Did you know you can start with Q.16 and use d = [(vi + vf)/2]t to solve for vf? It seems to be the forgotten one of the kinematic equations for constant acceleration...:cry:

Dear Student,

Thank you for sharing your solution for the acceleration of the boat problem. Your solution is correct and you have used the correct equations to solve for the acceleration, final velocity, and time. Your teacher's solution is incorrect and I would suggest discussing it with her and showing her your work.

In physics, it is important to use the correct equations and to understand the concepts behind them. Your solution shows that you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in this problem.

I would also suggest discussing the significance of significant figures with your teacher. In physics, it is important to use the correct number of significant figures to reflect the precision of the measurements and calculations. In this problem, the acceleration should be rounded to two significant figures, giving an answer of 0.56 m/s^2. However, the final velocity and time should be rounded to three significant figures, giving answers of 6.16 m/s and 27.3 seconds, respectively.

Overall, your solution is correct and well-explained. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for clarification or help if you need it. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of a boat?

The formula for calculating acceleration of a boat is acceleration (a) = change in velocity (Δv) / time taken (Δt).

2. How can I measure the acceleration of a boat?

To measure the acceleration of a boat, you will need to record the change in velocity over a specific time interval. This can be done by using a speedometer or GPS device to track the boat's velocity at different points in time.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a boat?

The acceleration of a boat can be affected by factors such as the power of the boat's engine, the weight of the boat, the water conditions, and the resistance of the water against the boat's hull.

4. How does the angle of the boat's propeller affect its acceleration?

The angle of the boat's propeller can affect its acceleration by changing the direction of the thrust force exerted by the propeller. A steeper angle can generate more thrust, resulting in a faster acceleration, while a shallower angle can reduce the thrust and slow down the acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a boat be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a boat can be negative if the boat is decelerating, meaning its velocity is decreasing over time. This can happen when the boat is slowing down due to friction or resistance from the water.