1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a car

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1
    Your friend's 10.9-g graduation tassel hangs on a string from his rear-view mirror. When he accelerates from a stop light, the tassel deflects backward toward the rear of the car. If the tassel hangs at an angle of 5.60° relative to the vertical, what is the acceleration of the car?

I realize this isn't difficult. I think I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be because I'm not sure how to start/ which equations to use. There's acceleration in both directions so I need to set up the x and y components of the acceleration/force but beyond that I'm lost. Any help with setting it up/ and or solving it would be much appreciated! I would rather you show the steps to solve it than the answer if at all possible. Thank you so much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Consider that acceleration is a vector too.

If the tassel is being pulled radially, then you have a right triangle where g is the vertical, and a of car is the horizontal.

Consider then tan-1 of the sides?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook