What is the distance and speed of a car with constant acceleration?

In summary, the car in the problem is initially moving at 50.0 m/s and brakes to a halt in 6.00 seconds. The first question asks how far the car will travel before coming to a halt if its acceleration is constant. The second question asks for the car's speed 1.35 seconds after it starts to brake, assuming constant acceleration. The equations used to solve these questions are v = a*t + v0 and vf^2 = v0^2 + 2ad, respectively. By plugging in the given values and solving for the unknown variable, the distance and speed can be determined.
ScienceGirl90

Homework Statement

A car is moving at 50.0 m/s and brakes to a halt in 6.00 seconds.
(1)From the time it starts braking, how far does the car travel before the car comes to a halt if its acceleration is constant?
(2)What is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?

Homework Equations

v=a*t+vo

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just don't where to start with this problem. I'm confused! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you listed will get you the acceleration, but for the distance you'll need

[tex]v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2ad[/tex]

Ok thank you! I was able to find the distance for question one but I am still stuck as to what is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?

ScienceGirl90 said:
Ok thank you! I was able to find the distance for question one but I am still stuck as to what is the car's speed 1.35 s after it starts to brake if the cars acceleration is constant?

Just use the first formula you gave in your original post. Pay attention to your signs and you'll be golden.

Got it. Thanks!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It measures how quickly the speed of an object is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a car?

The acceleration of a car is affected by several factors, including the engine power, weight of the car, traction of the tires, and resistance from air and friction. These factors determine how much force is needed to overcome inertia and increase the car's speed.

4. How does acceleration affect the distance a car travels?

Acceleration directly affects the distance a car travels. The longer the car accelerates, the farther it will travel. This is because the car is covering more distance in the same amount of time due to its increasing speed.

5. Can a car accelerate indefinitely?

No, a car cannot accelerate indefinitely. As the car's speed increases, the resistance from air and friction also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate further. Additionally, the car's engine has a maximum power output, so it cannot continue to provide more force to increase the car's speed indefinitely.