What is the acceleration of the coin after being dropped?

In summary: And what force(s) act on the coin after it is dropped?There is a force of 11.5m/s2 acting on the coin after it is dropped.
Lesegp

Homework Statement

An observer Y, on the ground floor of a building watches a glass fronted lift moving downwards .The magnitude of the acceleration of the lift as it moves downwards is 1.5m.s2 .A passenger X inside the lift drops a coin. Relative to observer Y,

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the coin in ms2, after being dropped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer that I got is 11.5m/s2 but I have my doubts about it

Physics news on Phys.org
Lesegp said:

Homework Statement

An observer Y, on the ground floor of a building watches a glass fronted lift moving downwards .The magnitude of the acceleration of the lift as it moves downwards is 1.5m.s2 .A passenger X inside the lift drops a coin. Relative to observer Y,

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the coin in ms2, after being dropped.

Homework Equations

We cannot help if you do not show your work.

Lesegp said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What causes acceleration?

PeroK said:
What causes acceleration
A force applied to an object at rest causes it to accelerate in the direction of the force.

Lesegp said:
A force applied to an object at rest causes it to accelerate in the direction of the force.

And what force(s) act on the coin after it is dropped?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur.

What is the acceleration of a falling coin?

The acceleration of a falling coin is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, due to the force of gravity.

Does the mass of a coin affect its acceleration?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration. Heavier objects require more force to accelerate at the same rate as lighter objects.

How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a falling coin?

Air resistance can slow down the acceleration of a falling coin, as it creates a force in the opposite direction of the coin's motion. However, this effect is often negligible for small objects like coins.