Acceleration of a mass hanging from a pulley problem

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the acceleration of a hanging mass attached to a pulley. The formula for calculating the acceleration is derived using the tension as the force and the pulley's inertia. The conversation also mentions a possible mistake in the calculation, leading to a nonsensical result.
aftershock
EDIT: I just realized I have to use the tension as the force and not simply mg. It's been a while since I dealt with these problems and that slipped my mind. I think I get it now, sorry.

I can't figure out where I'm messing up on this. This is not a homework problem, bear with me as I try to explain this.

Imagine you have a pulley with a string attached to the edge of the pulley with a mass hanging off of it. You want to calculate the acceleration of that mass as it falls.

The force of the weight of the mass is producing the only torque. so torque = mgr where r is the radius of the pulley and m is the hanging mass.

The I of a pulley is (m'r^2)/2 where m' is the mass of the pulley. alpha is a/r where a is the linear acceleration at the edge of the pulley equal to the acceleration of the mass.

mgr = ((m'r^2)/2)*(a/r) ---> mg = (m'a)/2 ----> 2mg = m'a

so now to solve for a, the acceleration of the block...

(2mg)/m' = a

So what I'm getting from that formula is that if the mass of the pulley is less than twice that of the hanging mass it will accelerate with a magnitude larger than g.

This obviously makes no sense at all, where did I mess up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mg is the total force on the mass and pully system. This force is used to accelerate the mass and pulley, so after converting the pulley's inertia into it's equivalent linear inertia, the rate of acceleration will equal force / (mass of weight + equivalent of linear inertia of pulley).

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of a mass hanging from a pulley?

The formula for calculating acceleration in this scenario is a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 is the mass of the hanging object and m2 is the mass of the object on the other side of the pulley, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in this type of problem?

The direction of acceleration can be determined by considering the direction of the net force acting on the system. If the net force is in the direction of the hanging mass, then acceleration will be in that direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the hanging mass, then acceleration will be in the opposite direction.

3. What happens to the acceleration if the mass on one side of the pulley is increased?

If the mass on one side of the pulley is increased, the acceleration will decrease. This is because the larger mass will exert a greater force, resulting in a smaller net force and therefore a smaller acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration be negative in this type of problem?

Yes, the acceleration can be negative in this type of problem. This would occur if the net force is in the opposite direction of the hanging mass, resulting in a negative value for acceleration. This would indicate that the hanging mass is slowing down rather than speeding up.

5. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration of the hanging mass?

The angle of the pulley does not affect the acceleration of the hanging mass, as long as the pulley is frictionless. However, if there is friction present on the pulley, the angle can impact the magnitude of the net force and therefore affect the acceleration of the hanging mass.