Acceleration of a metal piece due to dipole radiation magnetic field

In summary: K-NcRmVcwIn summary, the conversation discusses the effects of electrodynamic radiation on a metal object. The speaker has done calculations on the case of a thin round metal disk and has found that the force on the object will be proportional to the sum of v/r^3 and (v/r)*k^2. They ask if this result is correct and the response confirms that it is, citing the Lenz principle. The conversation also mentions a video that shows the dramatic effects of a strong magnetic field on a metal object.
Wayne Lai
Recently I am learning about electrodynamic radiation and its various types, and it occur to me that since the form of the magnetic field created by the dipole radiation is some combination of cos(wt), 1/r, and cos(kr) (take the approximation of r >> c/w)

Therefore, if there is a metal placed in the field, will it be accelerate by the field?

I've done some simple calculations on the case of a thin round metal disk, which the normal vector of its surface is parallel to the tangent line of magnetic field.

By calculate the emf that create by the changing magnetic field value (regarding the time changing and the displacement), I obtain the eddy current for each radius.

By integrating these factors, I get the the total magnetic moment M, thus by using the rule F=-dU/dr and U=M*B, I find the force will be proportional to the sum of v/r^3 and (v/r)*k^2 (which I take the average of time and position on the (cos^2)s).

Could anyone tell me whether this result is correct or not, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
I didn't follow your calculations, but the answer to your question is YES. If you place a metal object in a alternating magnetic field, the eddy current induced will produce a force on that metal object and the force will be directed away from the alternating magnetic field source. This is a consequence of the Lenz principle: eddy currents induced oppose the change of the magnetic field.
With a strong enough magnetic field, the effects can be quite dramatic. Have a look at this video

1. What is the concept of dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration?

The concept of dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration refers to the phenomenon where a metal piece experiences an increase in its speed or velocity due to the presence of a magnetic field generated by a dipole (a pair of equal and opposite charges) in its vicinity.

2. How does a dipole radiation magnetic field accelerate a metal piece?

When a metal piece is placed in the vicinity of a dipole, the magnetic field lines exert a force on the free electrons in the metal. This force causes the electrons to move in a circular motion, generating a current. According to the Lenz's law, this current creates a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field. This interaction between the two magnetic fields results in a net force that accelerates the metal piece.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a metal piece due to dipole radiation magnetic field?

The acceleration of a metal piece due to dipole radiation magnetic field depends on various factors such as the strength and orientation of the dipole, the distance between the dipole and the metal piece, and the properties of the metal (e.g. conductivity and density).

4. What are the applications of dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration?

Dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration has various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, magnetic levitation trains, and electromagnetic propulsion systems. It is also used in scientific research to study the behavior of materials in the presence of strong magnetic fields.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration?

While dipole radiation magnetic field acceleration has many practical applications, it can also pose potential risks. Strong magnetic fields can cause damage to electronic devices and can be harmful to living organisms. Therefore, proper safety measures should be taken when conducting experiments involving strong magnetic fields.