1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a rod

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid rod of mass M = 2.48 kg and length L = 45 cm is suspended by two strings, each with a length d = 35 cm (see Figure), one at each end of the rod. The string on side B is cut. What is the magnitude of the initial tangential acceleration of end B?
    The string on side B is retied and now has only half the length of the string on side A. What now is the magnitude of the initial tangential acceleration of end B?

2. Relevant equations

alpha = I/T

I = r(alpha)

I = 1/3MR^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm completely loss really. When string B is cut and it proceeds to swing down would the length of it's string d be counted into the radius? I don't really know what I'm doing here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, don't count the string length in the radius, the rod pivots about its end such that its radius is the same as it length. What you need to find is the initial Torque of the rod's weight from its cg about the pivot. It is different for each case. And correct your second relevant equation to read a_tangential = r(alpha).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?