Acceleration of a satellite

Earth, so there's no need to "balance forces".)In summary, the satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5N/kg. The acceleration of the satellite and its direction can be calculated using the formula a=v^2/r and the knowledge that the acceleration is directed towards the center of the Earth. The mass of the satellite is not needed to solve this problem, as it cancels out in the calculation. The gravitational force acting on the satellite is proportional to its mass, so the acceleration of the satellite is also 4.5 N/kg (or m/s^2).
hydrocarbon
A satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above it's surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5N/kg

b)assuming the orbit is circular, calculate the acceleration of the satlellite and it's direction.

since the satellite is rotating around the Earth i used circular motion formula: a=v^2/r but since i wasn't provided any velocity i have to derive from the formula but i don't know where to start can i get some help please? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hey carbon,
I am really exited to reply to this question. This is actually my first time on this site.

to start off, the answer is right in front of you. A Force is defined as a Mass times an Acceleration. If F=m*a then a=F/m correct?
voila!
you have the acceleration. a=Newtons/kilograms. 4.5N/kg is really the acceleration because it is a= 4.5N/1Kg. do you see that?

For the second part, to find the direction you do not need the formula a=v^2/r. Heck, you do not need this formula for the entire problem. All you need to realize is that the direction of the acceleration is ALWAYS towards the point where it is being accelerated towards. In this case, the point being accelerated towards is the center of earth. THE ACCELERATION in this problem is always DIRECTED towards the CENTER OF EARTH!.

if you have anymore question on this or any difficulty understanding what i wrote, just let me know. It has been a pleasure
-Alex

i don't think the answer is 4.5N/Kg. they woudn't give me the answer in the question and then ask me to calculate it, wouldn't make sense. and the mass of the satellite is not given, so F=ma is not applicable in this case.

I also thought the same at first but tried using different formulas but there were too many variables. I would also like to mention that a force is not expressed is N/kg. N/kg is an ACCELERATION. A force is expressed in N. To show you an example using F=m*a, N=kg*(N/kg) but not (N/kg)=kg*(N/kg) . So the 4.5 that you gave HAS to be the acceleration because it is expressed in N/kg.

to use the equation F=G*m1*m2/(r^2) to find the acceleration, you would need to know r.

to use a=v^2/r you would need to know either the time of orbit or the velocity and the radius

to use F=m*a you would need to know the mass of the satellite

Do you see my point, if you said that 4.5N was the force, none of these would work with the given info. You need more information to solve this problem.

Make sure that the source where you got the problem from mentions the mass of the satellite in previous pages.

[tex] g = \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Using the above equation, with g=4.5 N/kg, G=gravitational constant, M= Earth's mass you can calculate the altitude the satellite would have in order for it to experience that specific gravitational force. This is R.

Now, in order for the satellite to orbit the planet and not just fall down, you need to balance the forces:

[tex]F_{net}= \frac{M_{sat} v^2}{R}[/tex]

[tex]F_{grav}= \frac{M_{sat} M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex][tex]\frac{M_{sat} v^2}{R}=\frac{M_{sat} M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]v^2=\frac{M_{earth} G}{R}[/tex]

As you can see, the mass of the satellite cancels out so it is irrelevant.

Now you have the velocity and the radius so you can calculate the acceleration using your a=vv/r equation.

Last edited:
hydrocarbon said:
i don't think the answer is 4.5N/Kg.
Newtons/kg are not primitive units (i.e., units expressed as the produce of powers of mass, length, time, electrical charge). What is 4.5 N/kg in primitive units?
tiale11 said:
Make sure that the source where you got the problem from mentions the mass of the satellite in previous pages.
The satellite's mass is not needed to solve this problem.

hydrocarbon said:
i don't think the answer is 4.5N/Kg. they woudn't give me the answer in the question and then ask me to calculate it, wouldn't make sense.
It really is as simple as that. (Just as tiale11 described in his first post.) Of course you'd express the acceleration in its normal units.
and the mass of the satellite is not given, so F=ma is not applicable in this case.
Just call the mass of the satellite M. You don't need the actual value.

I see that this is part "b" of the problem. What was part a?

Last edited:
I don't think it is that simple...if that were the acceleration of the satellite then that would imply it has no orbital velocity, and hence falls straight back down to earth.

kreil said:
I don't think it is that simple...if that were the acceleration of the satellite then that would imply it has no orbital velocity, and hence falls straight back down to earth.
Why in the world would you think that? The acceleration still equals [itex]v^2/r[/itex].

Notice that 4.5N/kg is the strength of the gravitational field, not the acceleration of the satellite.
But since the gravitational force is proportional to the mass, this is the acceleration. Note that near the Earth's surface, the gravitational field strength is called g, which equals 9.8 N/kg = 9.8 m/s^2.

Notice that 4.5N/kg is the strength of the gravitational field, not the acceleration of the satellite. My post above(#5) outlines how to balance the forces to find the acceleration of the satellite.

So what you're saying is that my post (#5) is incorrect? I find this hard to believe...

4.5 N/kg is the acceleration of the satellite. The only force acting on the satellite is gravity; there are no forces to balance.

kreil said:
Notice that 4.5N/kg is the strength of the gravitational field, not the acceleration of the satellite. My post above(#5) outlines how to balance the forces to find the acceleration of the satellite.
It's all unnecessary. F=ma works just fine. F = M(4.5 N/kg) = Ma, thus a = 4.5 N/kg (or m/s^2). (Gravity is the only force acting on the satellite.)

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/circles/u6l4c.html

The other force is centripetal

I haven't checked yet if both methods give the same answer, that would be amusing :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
kreil said:
Now, in order for the satellite to orbit the planet and not just fall down, you need to balance the forces:
There's only one force acting, but OK.

[tex]F_{net}= \frac{M_{sat} v^2}{R}[/tex]

[tex]F_{grav}= \frac{M_{sat} M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{M_{sat} v^2}{R}=\frac{M_{sat} M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex]
Fine. Now divide by M_sat:

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{R}=\frac{M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex]

Realize that the right hand term is the gravitational field strength, as given.

You don't need to solve for the speed.

Hint: The Newton is not a primitive unit. Rather one Newton is defined as the force needed to make a mass of one kilogram accelerate at one meter per second squared. Applying Newton's second law, [itex]1\,\text{Newton} = 1\,\text{kg}\cdot\text{meter}/\text{second}^2[/itex]. What is [itex]1\,N/kg[/itex]?

kreil said:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/circles/u6l4c.html

The other force is centripetal

I haven't checked yet if both methods give the same answer, that would be amusing :-)
There's only one method. "Centripetal force" is not another force in additional to gravity. Gravity is the centripetal force!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
There's only one force acting, but OK.

Fine. Now divide by M_sat:

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{R}=\frac{M_{earth} G}{R^2}[/tex]

Realize that the right hand term is the gravitational field strength, as given.

You don't need to solve for the speed.

This makes it more clear.

touche

hey kreil,
you really did not answer the original question. its nice that you derived the formulas but how exactly do they help you? you still have 3 unknowns: the velocity, acceleration, and the radius. a N/kg is not a centripetal force but is the centripetal acceleration. The answer to the original question is a=4.5m/s^2 and the direction is towards the center of the Earth. No computations are needed all that is needed is to know how to read UNITS. Thats it!

no tiale11 a calculation is needed. the question ask to "calculate the acceleration of the satellite and it's direction" the question I'm asking is how to munipulate the centripetal formula

hydrocarbon said:
no tiale11 a calculation is needed. the question ask to "calculate the acceleration of the satellite and it's direction" the question I'm asking is how to munipulate the centripetal formula
As has been said previously, a calculation is really not required to answer this question. You are given the magnitude of the acceleration, the only thing you need to determine is the direction, which again doesn't require a calculation.

then you would definitely get this question wrong if you were taking this course. because the question asks for a calculation. so the teacher is going to look for one. previous questions i thought were messed up and could not be answered the teacher actually did answer it and i lost marks, so trust me the answer is not 4.5m/s^2 that would be way to easy.

hydrocarbon said:
then you would definitely get this question wrong if you were taking this course. because the question asks for a calculation. so the teacher is going to look for one. previous questions i thought were messed up and could not be answered the teacher actually did answer it and i lost marks, so trust me the answer is not 4.5m/s^2 that would be way to easy.
Just because it's easy does not mean that it's wrong. Rather than argue with folks who are trying to help, I suggest you reread through this thread and understand the arguments given.

I also suggest that you post the entire problem exactly as given, not just part "b". Maybe the context of the entire problem will make it clearer.

let me just ask you this hydrocarbon

what is a Newton/kilogram equal to?
a) a force
b) an acceleration
c) an acceleration
d) answers b) and c) and never answer a)

***hint there are 3 possible answers*****

I know how to read units, and i never questioned that the 4.5n/kg was an acceleration, I simply doubted the problem would be that trivial. As it stands, this question is simply ridiculous.

What is acceleration of a satellite?

Acceleration of a satellite refers to the rate at which the velocity of a satellite changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What causes acceleration of a satellite?

The acceleration of a satellite is primarily caused by the force of gravity from the object it is orbiting. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and solar radiation pressure can also contribute to acceleration.

How is acceleration of a satellite calculated?

The acceleration of a satellite can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma). In this case, the force is the gravitational force between the satellite and the object it is orbiting.

Can the acceleration of a satellite change?

Yes, the acceleration of a satellite can change if there are changes in the gravitational force or other factors affecting the satellite's orbit. For example, if the satellite moves closer to or further away from the object it is orbiting, the acceleration will change.

How does acceleration of a satellite affect its orbit?

The acceleration of a satellite affects its orbit by determining the shape, size, and speed of the orbit. A higher acceleration will result in a smaller and faster orbit, while a lower acceleration will result in a larger and slower orbit.