1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a three mass system

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The system shown in the diagram is accelerating toward the right (clockwise). Find the acceleration in terms of m1, m2, m3, uk, and g.

[​IMG]

Note: There aren't any numbers used in this problem. It's just working with the variables to create an expression equal to the acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

Fg = mg
    Ff = ukFn
    SumofF= ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I began by creating free body diagrams of each mass, starting with m3.

[​IMG]

I used the forumla Fg = mg to get m3g. This is also equal to the tension in the string.

T = m3g

I moved on to creating a free body diagram of mass2.

[​IMG]

I used the forumla Fg=mg, where this downward force would be equal to the normal force. I then used the equation Ff = ukFn to get the friction force. Subtracting this friction force from the tension in the string would give me the net force for m2.

T = m3g - m2guk

This force would be equal to the tension in the string pulling m1 which is m3g - m2guk. Because the system is moving clockwise I subtract m1g to get the sum of all the sytem's forces moving in the clockwise direction.

F = m3g - m2guk - m1g

Since I need to find the acceleration of the system, I set the expression m3g - m2guk - m1g equal to m1, because m3g - m2guk - m1g is the force pulling m1 up.

Thus.

(m3g - m2guk - m1g) / (m1) = a

Did I solve this problem correctly or was there some flaw to the logic I used?

Thanks ahead of time. I apologize for the quality of the diagrams.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Vaati ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :smile:)

Sorry … the flaw is that T = m3g is valid only if the acceleration is zero.

But anyway, why work out the tensions when the question doesn't ask for them? :confused:

Hint: call the distance moved "x", and use the work-energy theorem. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?