1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of an elevator

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    I need help getting started with this problem. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The acceleration of an elevator changes at a rate give by the function

Plot the position of the elevator assuming that its velocity at t=0 is zero and the elevator starts moving from a zero ground level.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Are you in a calculus-based physics course? The problem sounds like it calls on you to integrate this acceleration function to find the velocity function, then to integrate that to find a positive function, given that v(0) = 0 and x(0) = 0.

This will be harder to deal with if you have to do it only graphically.
  4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    I could use integration to solve this, then I have to use the values to plot a graph.
    Still need help staring this problem. Thanks.
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

So wouldn't you be plotting the values of x(t) for different times? Also, is e in that function supposed to be 2.71828... ? So you have all the information you need to find the position function and calculate positions, no?
  6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    e = 2.71828183

I have integrated the acceleration equation twice to find out position. Then I plotted the equation on Maple and i got this graph, Can someone tell weather this is correct or incorrect way of addressing this problem. I also can't understand the Graph, according to the graph it says the the position of the elevator increases exponential after 5 second. Can someone explain the graph to me. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  7. Nov 22, 2007 #6
    - First of all it does not make sense to plot the position time graph for negative time values. You should graph the position function for t>=0

- Secondly as for explaining the graph for positive t values note the following:
    The elevator at t = 0 starts at about 14 units away from the origin of your frame of reference and for t = 4 it will come towards the origin and then for t>4 it will move away from the origin.
  8. Nov 22, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the reply

-The reason i plotted the graph for negative values is to get a perspective of what is happening.

-Is the "y axis" refering to the floor number?

-Also why is it moving away from the orgin at a expoential rate?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?