Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration of an elevator

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    I need help getting started with this problem. Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The acceleration of an elevator changes at a rate give by the function

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2739/mathzy2.jpg [Broken]

Plot the position of the elevator assuming that its velocity at t=0 is zero and the elevator starts moving from a zero ground level.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Are you in a calculus-based physics course? The problem sounds like it calls on you to integrate this acceleration function to find the velocity function, then to integrate that to find a positive function, given that v(0) = 0 and x(0) = 0.

This will be harder to deal with if you have to do it only graphically.

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    I could use integration to solve this, then I have to use the values to plot a graph.
    Still need help staring this problem. Thanks.

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

So wouldn't you be plotting the values of x(t) for different times? Also, is e in that function supposed to be 2.71828... ? So you have all the information you need to find the position function and calculate positions, no?

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    e = 2.71828183

I have integrated the acceleration equation twice to find out position. Then I plotted the equation on Maple and i got this graph, Can someone tell weather this is correct or incorrect way of addressing this problem. I also can't understand the Graph, according to the graph it says the the position of the elevator increases exponential after 5 second. Can someone explain the graph to me. Thanks

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3210/mattttttsr1.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  7. Nov 22, 2007 #6
    - First of all it does not make sense to plot the position time graph for negative time values. You should graph the position function for t>=0

- Secondly as for explaining the graph for positive t values note the following:
    The elevator at t = 0 starts at about 14 units away from the origin of your frame of reference and for t = 4 it will come towards the origin and then for t>4 it will move away from the origin.

8. Nov 22, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the reply

-The reason i plotted the graph for negative values is to get a perspective of what is happening.

-Is the "y axis" refering to the floor number?

-Also why is it moving away from the orgin at a expoential rate?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook