1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of car and power

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car o fmass 1250 kg accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 4 s . The average power of the car is ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Though it looks simple , but i don see my mistake.

The average power is the change in kinetic energy over time ,

(1/2 x 1250 x 100^2)/(4)

is my working correct ? But that doesn't give the answer which is 121 kW

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2
    Re: mechaniscs

For the formula to yield an answer in watts, you need to convert km/h into m/s. Divide the answer you get by 1000 to get an answer in kW.

4. May 21, 2010 #3

You know the change in velocity and the change in time so you can calculate the acceleration. Knowing the acceleration and time you can calculate the distance the car travels. Knowing the mass of the car and its acceleration you can calculate the force on the car. Knowing the force and distance you can calculate the work done. Power equals work/ change in time.

5. May 21, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

This over complicates things quite a bit. The work is given by the difference of kinetic energy. thereddevils only mistake is the usage of the wrong units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook