1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of electron?

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Acceleration of electron??

Please atleast help me by explaining what I should do. I have found velocity by setting kenetic energy to .5mv^2 and used the mass of an electron for the mass and found that velocity is 6.182. Next i set mass x gravity=qvbsin(theta) and apparently whatever i did from here is wrong. Thanks for your help.

The electrons in the beam of a television tube have a kinetic energy of 2.10 10-15 J. Initially, the electrons move horizontally from west to east. The vertical component of the earth's magnetic field points down, toward the surface of the earth, and has a magnitude of 1.00 10-5 T.
    What is the acceleration of an electron in part (a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    The electrons are initially moving perpendicularly to the field - so sin(theta) = 1. Is that what you did and you still got the wrong answer?

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    j916 - I didn't realize what you were doing the first time. There are two forces at play here - the magnetic and the graviational - what you want to do is set the total force equal to the combination of both of them, and then find the acceleration from that total force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?