Light Speed & Acceleration: Is it Instantaneous?

In summary, the speed of light is constant and its acceleration is zero. A photon, which is a type of light, has zero mass, acceleration, and charge. According to Newton's third law, any particle with or without mass cannot impel force on a photon. However, a photon can interact with particles with mass, such as electrons, through absorption and exchange of momentum and energy. When a photon is released, it is created at the speed of light. This is because if it were created at a different speed, momentum would not be conserved. Other particles, such as neutrinos and the theorized graviton, may also have zero mass and travel at the speed of light.
smslca
I know the speed of light is 3*10^8m/sec. And its acceleration is Zero.

1. I think we can take photon as light. Its mass=0, acceleration=0, charge=0.
By eqn F=ma=0*0=0 i.e any particle with or without mass cannot impel force on a photon.
From Newtons third law vice versa is also true.
I think force between particles (attraction or repulsion) represents their interaction with
each other.
Then what is this absorption of photon i.e interaction by jumping electrons(containing mass) actually mean.

2. When a photon is released,
is its speed is instantaneous with a speed of light?? If it is instantaneous could you tell
me, how does it attain that speed from the start i.e at t=0.

If its not instantaneous, Is photon accelerating for its first second to attain the speed of
light, since speed is 3*10^8 m for each second , and then it continued to travel with no
acceleration after t=1.

I don't know the physics too deep. I just know the basics. I am trying to learn into its depths. So please notify me if there are any wrong in my questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi smslca ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
smslca said:
I know the speed of light is 3*10^8m/sec. And its acceleration is Zero.

No, the speed (a number) is constant, but the velocity (a vector) isn't …

the velocity can be c in any direction, and if the direction changes, then there is an acceleration (perpendicular to the velocity). :smile:
By eqn F=ma=0*0=0 i.e any particle with or without mass cannot impel force on a photon.
I think force between particles (attraction or repulsion) represents their interaction with
each other.
Then what is this absorption of photon i.e interaction by jumping electrons(containing mass) actually mean.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but a photon can "collide" with an electron (see eg the Compton experiment) …

they exchange momentum (and energy). :wink:
2. When a photon is released,
is its speed is instantaneous with a speed of light??

Yes, it is created at the speed of light. :smile:

smslca said:
Welcome to PF!

Note, that Newton's laws are just an approximation for v<<c and need to be adapted when dealing with relativistic speeds. Specifically, Newton's second law for relativistic objects should be written [itex]F=dp/d\tau[/itex] where p is the energy-momentum four-vector and [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper time. In this case, although a photon has no mass it does have momentum and therefore can exert a force on a massive particle.

tiny-tim said:

How do you know that?

Because otherwise momentum would not be conserved.

tiny-tim said:
Hi smslca ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

the velocity can be c in any direction, and if the direction changes, then there is an acceleration (perpendicular to the velocity). :smile:

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but a photon can "collide" with an electron (see eg the Compton experiment) …

they exchange momentum (and energy). :wink:

Hi ,tiny-tim,
thanks for your answer ,even i was stuck with the same type of question

I learned a new point about velocity. I had studied about velocity and vectors in school and in college. How can they miss such a minute points. They always said that If there is change in velocity it gives the acceleration, because that's what written in the textbooks. Cant they just add the small and important missing points to the lecture from their memory. I think even teachers have no knowledge about it. Then where is the quality in education. In India they just want money, to earn that they don't care about knowledge.

Please ignore above statements if u want to. Its my frustration about the educational system in India. I am not judging just with this one example.

Thanks to Tiny tim for adding the sentence
if the direction changes, then there is an acceleration (perpendicular to the velocity).

Dalespam, Are u saying that momentum of the particles with no mass and traveling with speed of light doesn't need mass to gain momentum. In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon it is said that momentum of photon depends only on its frequency.
Is there any particles like photon??. I like to learn about them. Physics is so interesting.

Does the particle with no mass must travel with speed of light??

DaleSpam said:
Because otherwise momentum would not be conserved.

Not sure I understand that. The effective mass of a photon should be zero so the m x v equation is going to be zero. I also can't see why you couldn't have a change of momentum when it is first produced which would be canceled when it finally impingies on something, hence momentum being conserved.

Hi smslca! :smile:
smslca said:
Is there any particles like photon??. I like to learn about them. Physics is so interesting.

You mean, are there any other particles that have zero mass, and so travel at the speed of light?

We used to think that the neutrino with (spin-half) did, but now experiment suggests that it does have a very small mass.

The graviton (with spin two), which has not yet been discovered, is believed to have zero mass.
Does the particle with no mass must travel with speed of light??

(In vacuum,) yes. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

the velocity can be c in any direction, and if the direction changes, then there is an acceleration (perpendicular to the velocity).

This change in direction, If The light traveling in a straight line turned left or right or back or at an angle, does mean the light accelerated.

If the above assumption is true, Does reflection and refraction produces acceleration in light. At that time does reflected or refracted light travels with speed of light.

smslca said:
This change in direction, If The light traveling in a straight line turned left or right or back or at an angle, does mean the light accelerated.

If the above assumption is true, Does reflection and refraction produces acceleration in light. At that time does reflected or refracted light travels with speed of light.

Yes!... Light always travels at the speed of light, but not always at the vacuum value of 'c'.
In fact, my very favourite type of radiation applies here... Čerenkov Radiation! It's a fine example of how light keeps on trucking, and even creates something very like a sonic 'n wave' when it "brakes" into its local speed.

A fine intro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

EDIT: Remember, light is EM radiation, all EM radiation behaves as light re "speed"

smslca said:
Dalespam, Are u saying that momentum of the particles with no mass and traveling with speed of light doesn't need mass to gain momentum. In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon it is said that momentum of photon depends only on its frequency.
Yes, that is correct. However, the more general principle is that the momentum of any particle is proportional to its wavenumber (1/wavelength). For photons, since they are massless, the frequency is proportional to the magnitude of the wavenumber so it works out that what you said above is correct.

smslca said:

If light (or anything) changes direction, it accelerates.

If light (or anything) changes direction but stays the same speed, it accelerates perpendicular to its velocity.

That rather depends on whether you regard it as the same photon.

When light is reflected or refracted, quantum theory tends to convert the photon into a wave while it interacts with the glass (or other medium), and back into a photon when it leaves.

But if you regard it as the same photon, then yes it must have accelerated.

Nickelodeon said:
Not sure I understand that. The effective mass of a photon should be zero so the m x v equation is going to be zero. I also can't see why you couldn't have a change of momentum when it is first produced which would be canceled when it finally impingies on something, hence momentum being conserved.

Remember that only the rest mass of the photon is said to be zero. Since a photon is never (as far as we can tell) at rest, the photon's momentum is determined according to its frequency.

An alternative way to look at it: Dr. Haus has shown that the condition for radiation is that the Fourier Transform of the particle's current contains components synchronous with the velocity of light. In other words, some part of the current is already moving at the speed of light.

1. What is light speed and is it truly instantaneous?

Light speed is the speed at which light travels through a vacuum, and it is the fastest known speed in the universe. However, it is not instantaneous. Light speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which means it takes a very small amount of time for light to travel even the shortest distance.

2. How is light speed measured and how accurate are our measurements?

Light speed can be measured using various methods, including using lasers and mirrors, and observing the Doppler effect. Our current measurements of light speed are very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few meters per second.

3. Can anything travel faster than light?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than light. The theory of relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed light speed.

4. How does acceleration affect light speed?

Acceleration does not affect the speed of light. Light always travels at the same constant speed in a vacuum, regardless of the acceleration of its source or the observer. This is one of the fundamental principles of the theory of relativity.

5. Is light speed the ultimate speed limit in the universe?

Based on our current understanding of physics, yes, light speed is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, it is possible that future discoveries and advancements in science may challenge this notion.