How do I find the acceleration of a mass on a table?

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a system of masses hanging from strings on a table. By considering the forces acting on the system and taking into account the coefficient of friction and the mass of the system, the correct answer is found to be 1.9 m/s^2.
kasse
[SOLVED] acceleration of mass on table

Homework Statement

http://www.badongo.com/pic/3633497

The Attempt at a Solution

The resultant force of the two hanging mases is 19.6 N. This means that just after the masses are released, the friction is 0.3*mg = 4.41 N, so that the total resultant force is 15.2 N.

The acceleration is then 15.2/1.5 = 10.1 m/s^2

Why am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, The coefficient of friction you have is for static friction.
Secondly, you must account for the entire system's mass since they are all accelerating.

You got an answer larger than 9.8m/s^2. That should be sending up alarms. No matter how heavy m3 is it's maximum acceleration down is 9.8m/s^2. Now try and do the problem right. There is a tension T1 and T2 in each of the two strings. You have to do a force balance for each mass and then set all of the accelerations equal.

I solved it in the same way, replacing the static coefficient with the dynamic, and replacing m2 with (m1+2+3). 1.9m/s^2. I don't know if my method is right, but it gave me the correct answer.

kasse said:
I solved it in the same way, replacing the static coefficient with the dynamic, and replacing m2 with (m1+2+3). 1.9m/s^2. I don't know if my method is right, but it gave me the correct answer.

That works. As Texag said, since everything is accelerating at the same rate, you can treat the system as one large mass and just add up the external forces. This does save you the step of dealing with the internal tensions.

1. What is acceleration of mass on a table?

Acceleration of mass on a table is a measurement of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time while it is on a table. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration of mass on a table calculated?

Acceleration of mass on a table can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. The formula for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of mass on a table?

The acceleration of mass on a table is affected by the net force acting on the object, the object's mass, and the surface the object is on. Friction and air resistance can also impact the acceleration of an object on a table.

4. Can the acceleration of mass on a table be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of mass on a table can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the net force acting on it.

5. How does the acceleration of mass on a table relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

The acceleration of mass on a table can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This law can be written as a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.