What is the Formula for Acceleration in Rotation?

In summary, the body placed on a wheel of radius 10 mm going at 3Hz experiences an acceleration of 2*pi*freq*distance in the x, y, and z directions.
Branny12000
Hi there,

I am confused. I want to work out the acceleration that a body placed on a wheel of radius 10 mm going at a frequency of 3Hz would experience in the x y and z axis. The equations for rotation don't make this clear. They just give me one basic equation for acceleration

Can you help me understand this
Bran

Physics news on Phys.org
Branny12000 said:
They just give me one basic equation for acceleration.
You mean centripetal acceleration? It's towards the center.

Im not sure I just have 2*pi*freq*distance but I want of course the acceleration in the x y and z directions

The instantaneous acceleration is the derivative of the change in velocity per unit time. It is always towards the centre of rotation. So the question, with respect to coordinates, is arbitrary unless you define the problem more clearly.

Ie. at what instant do you wish to know the acceleration, over which chosen layout of coordinates?

it has normal reaction, centripetal acceleration and angular acceleration above the plane

Well At x = A So I am guess that the maximum acceleration is 2*pi*freq*distance and in the Y axis it would be when x = A y = 0? so it wouldn't experience maximum acceleration in the y direction?

The formula you have stated is for velocity (if distance = radius).
The formula for acceleration is a = v^2 / radius.

If you mean A to be acceleration then, yes, the y component is zero, but technically this means you have chose a coordinate set which does not see the wheel as spinning (because the coordinate turn with the wheel) so frequency = 0 and so will the other results. That is why the term centripetal accelerationis used.

If set the initial position to y = 0, x = 5, with the origin at the centre of the wheel (for example)
you could then calculate the actual position after (t) seconds, and use some pythagorus to get x and y components of the magnitude of centripetal acceleration (that you calculated with the above formula).

1. What is acceleration of rotation?

Acceleration of rotation refers to the rate at which the speed of an object's rotation changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's angular velocity is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration of rotation calculated?

To calculate acceleration of rotation, you need to know the change in angular velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration of rotation is a = Δω/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What causes acceleration of rotation?

Acceleration of rotation can be caused by a number of factors, including the application of a torque or force to the object, changes in the object's mass or distribution of mass, and external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is acceleration of rotation related to angular acceleration?

Acceleration of rotation and angular acceleration are closely related, as both measure the change in an object's rotational speed over time. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while acceleration of rotation is the actual change in speed itself.

5. How does acceleration of rotation affect the stability of an object?

The acceleration of rotation can affect the stability of an object by changing its rotational inertia and thus altering its resistance to changes in rotation. If an object experiences a high acceleration of rotation, it may become unstable and difficult to control.