Acceleration of Slab and Block: 58N Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a slab and a block on a frictionless floor with coefficients of static and kinetic friction. A horizontal force is applied to the block, and the accelerations of both the block and the slab are calculated using the equations m1*a = F - fk and m2*a = fk, respectively. The accuracy of the calculations is checked and confirmed.
tebes

Homework Statement

A slab of mass m1 = 18 kg rests on a frictionless floor, and a block of mass m2 = 12 kg rests on top of the slab. Between block and slab, the coefficient of static friction is 0.30, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. A horizontal force ,F of magnitude 58 N begins to pull directly on the block. What are the accelerations of (a) the block and (b) the slab?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempts for (a)
m1*a= F - fk
Solved for a.
I got it right.

Attempts for (b)
It's sliding (F > Fs) and there is no friction between floor and the slab.
I assumed the fk is pulling the slab. I put it in this way :
m2*a = fk.
Solved for a. But my answer is wrong.

fk = magnitude of kinetic friction between block and slab.
I would guess the equation for my (b) or my assumption is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Did you check your math and value for fk?

Likes 1 person
PhanthomJay said:
Looks right to me. Did you check your math and value for fk?
I just checked it. It was right. Thank you for checking, phantomjay.

1. What is the significance of the 58N force in the acceleration of slab and block?

The 58N force is the external force acting on the slab and block, causing them to accelerate. This force could be applied by gravity, a person pushing the block, or any other external force.

2. How does the mass of the slab and block affect the acceleration?

The mass of the slab and block directly affects the acceleration, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. The larger the mass, the greater the force needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.

3. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of the slab and block?

The formula for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force acting on the object, and m is the mass of the object. In this case, the force is 58N and the mass is the combined mass of the slab and block.

4. Can the acceleration of the slab and block be negative?

Yes, the acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down, or accelerating in the opposite direction of the force being applied.

5. How does friction affect the acceleration of the slab and block?

Friction can act as a resistive force, reducing the acceleration of the slab and block. This is because friction opposes the motion of the objects, making it harder for them to accelerate. The amount of friction depends on the surface and materials in contact, as well as the force being applied.