Calculating Acceleration on a Ramp with Friction

In summary: In that case, you are correct. The friction force would be at a 240 degree angle because it is acting in the opposite direction of motion, which is at 60 degrees above the X+ axis.In summary, the acceleration of the 20 kg block being pulled with a force of 150 N at 60 degrees above the X+ axis and experiencing a frictional force of 20 N can be calculated using the equation \SigmaF = Fcos(theta) - friction = ma. The friction force's angle would be 240 degrees because it is acting in the opposite direction of motion, which is at 60 degrees above the X+ axis.
pleasehelpme1
1. What is the acceleration of the 20 kg block if the block is being pulled with a force of 150 N at 60 degrees above the X+ axis and there is a frictional force of 20 N acting on the block?

2. F=ma, Fcos(theta).

3. I did (150)cos(60)=(20)a ---> 75=20a ---> a=3.75 m/s

Just wondering if this was correct and if I did it the right way. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to remember that the friction force also applies here.

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = m*a

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = Fcos(theta) - friction = ma

Correct?

I don't think you used the frictional force of 20N in your equation.

Aggression200 said:
You have to remember that the friction force also applies here.

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = m*a

Correct?

Wouldn't it be [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = Fnetcos(theta) = ma

VACA said:
I don't think you used the frictional force of 20N in your equation.
Wouldn't it be [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = Fnetcos(theta) = ma
You wouldn't multiply the frictional force by cos(theta) though.

If you draw your FBD...

You have a friction force going straight backwards with a magnitude of 20 N. Therefore, it has an angle of 180 with direction of motion, so cos(180) = -1. The 60.0 degrees ONLY affects the diagonal force.

:smile:

Aggression200 said:
You wouldn't multiply the frictional force by cos(theta) though.

If you draw your FBD...

You have a friction force going straight backwards with a magnitude of 20 N. Therefore, it has an angle of 180 with direction of motion, so cos(180) = -1. The 60.0 degrees ONLY affects the diagonal force.

How do you know that the angle of the friction is 180? Wouldn't the angle of friction be 240 degrees, because of the 60 degree incline?

How did you draw your FBD?

VACA said:
How do you know that the angle of the friction is 180? Wouldn't the angle of friction be 240 degrees, because of the 60 degree incline?
Consider that the Force being applied is someone pulling on a string. That string is 60.0 degrees to the flat surface the block is on. Ergo, the Force is at 60.0 degrees to the horizontal. And the friction is acting on the flat surface, keeping the angle at 180.But, to answer your question about a 60 degree incline...

Even if the block was on a 60 degree incline, the friction force's angle would still be 180 degrees. Since the direction of motion would still be going up the ramp, the direction of friction would be going the exact opposite of the direction of motion, making a 180 degree angle (straight line).

I drew my FBD:

Weight force going down.
Normal force going up.
Friction force going to the right.
Some force going up and to the left, forming a 60.0 angle with the horizontal.

I assume the block is on a flat surface.

Last edited:
Oh, I assumed the block was on a ramp. That's why I was getting confused.

1. What is acceleration of the block?

Acceleration of the block is the rate at which the velocity of the block changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the block is speeding up or slowing down.

2. How is acceleration of the block calculated?

The acceleration of the block can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of the block?

The acceleration of the block can be affected by the net force acting on the block, the mass of the block, and the frictional forces present. In an ideal scenario, a larger net force will result in a greater acceleration. However, factors such as friction can oppose the motion and decrease the acceleration.

4. How does the direction of the net force impact the acceleration of the block?

The direction of the net force acting on the block determines the direction of the acceleration. If the net force is in the same direction as the motion of the block, the acceleration will be in the same direction, resulting in an increase in speed. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction, resulting in a decrease in speed.

5. Can the acceleration of the block ever be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the block can be negative. This occurs when the net force acting on the block is in the opposite direction of the motion, resulting in a decrease in speed. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.