What is the acceleration of the ring on a vertical rod with a spring?

In summary: Can you please explain a little.You need to express the vertical height as a function of theta, and thereby express dv/dt in terms of theta.
nil1996

Homework Statement

A ring is moving on a vertical rod attached to a spring. Find the velocity of the ring when spring becomes horizontal. The spring is ideal with spring constant 400N/m. Mass of ring is 10kg. Natural length of spring is 4m. Initially the ring is at rest as shown in figure.(attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to solve the problem using Newtons laws and not by conservation of energy method. I have no idea on where should I start. I have made the following equation:

Fcosθ + mg = ma ...where F is the force by the spring
... θ is the angle between spring and rod
... a is the acceleration of the ring

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Next you need some geometry to relate theta to the length of the spring, and an equation relating the length of the spring to F.

thanks for the reply Haruspex:smile:
From hooks law:
F=k*x ...where x is the length of spring.

from geometry:

cosθ=h/x

so x=h/cosθ

so F=k*h/cosθ

nil1996 said:
thanks for the reply Haruspex:smile:
From hooks law:
F=k*x ...where x is the length of spring.
No, that would be where x is the extension of the spring.
from geometry:

cosθ=h/x

so x=h/cosθ

so F=k*h/cosθ
This way is going to get messy because h and x are both variable. Let the horizontal distance be D (=4m) and write the height and spring extension in terms of D and theta.

haruspex said:
No, that would be where x is the extension of the spring.

This way is going to get messy because h and x are both variable. Let the horizontal distance be D (=4m) and write the height and spring extension in terms of D and theta.

So i should write it as:

F=k(D/sinθ -3) ... D =horizontal distance

so putting this value in first equation:

ma=Fcosθ + mg

ma=k(D/sinθ-3)cosθ + mg

dv/dt = k/m(D/sinθ-3)cosθ + g

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{k}{m}[/itex]([itex]\frac{D}{sinθ}[/itex]-3)+g

Last edited:
nil1996 said:
So i should write it as:

F=k(D/sinθ -3) ... D =horizontal distance
Not 3. The relaxed length is also D.
so putting this value in first equation:

ma=Fcosθ + mg

ma=k(D/sinθ-3)cosθ + mg

dv/dt = k/m(D/sinθ-3)cosθ + g

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{k}{m}[/itex]([itex]\frac{D}{sinθ}[/itex]-3)+g
You dropped the cos.

haruspex said:
Not 3. The relaxed length is also D.

You dropped the cos.

o,made silly mistakes.

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{k}{m}[/itex]([itex]\frac{D}{sinθ}[/itex]-D)cosθ + g

now what to do after this?Should we consider a small change in θ and integrate it over the "θ" range to find the velocity??

nil1996 said:
o,made silly mistakes.

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{k}{m}[/itex]([itex]\frac{D}{sinθ}[/itex]-D)cosθ + g

now what to do after this?Should we consider a small change in θ and integrate it over the "θ" range to find the velocity??
You need to express the vertical height as a function of theta, and thereby express dv/dt in terms of theta.

haruspex said:
You need to express the vertical height as a function of theta, and thereby express dv/dt in terms of theta.

sorry but i am not getting what you saying?Can you please explain a little.

1. What is meant by "Acceleration of the ring" in the context of science?

In science, the term "Acceleration of the ring" typically refers to the rate at which the motion of a ring changes over time. This can be described in terms of its speed, direction, or both.

2. How is the acceleration of a ring measured?

The acceleration of a ring can be measured using a variety of scientific tools, including accelerometers, which measure changes in velocity, and force sensors, which measure the force applied to the ring.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a ring?

The acceleration of a ring can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied to the ring, the mass of the ring, and any external forces acting on the ring, such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the acceleration of a ring change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a ring can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the forces acting on the ring, changes in the mass of the ring, or changes in the environment in which the ring is moving.

5. What are some real-life examples of the acceleration of a ring?

The acceleration of a ring can be observed in various real-life situations, such as a car accelerating on a circular track, a roller coaster moving through a loop, or a satellite orbiting around a planet. It can also be seen in the motion of objects attached to a rotating wheel, such as a Ferris wheel or a merry-go-round.