1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration of the rocket

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    1. Problem
    A launched rocket emitting gas with a speed of 1500 m/sec relative to rocket and with flowrate of 100 kg/sec.
    If net mass of rocket is 5000 kg, find it's acceleration.

2. Equations
    F=ma
    F=d(mv)/dt
    Conservation of momentum
    m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

3.Attempt
    Flowrate = 100 kg/s
    velocity = 1500 m/s
    momentum downwards = mv = 100 x 1500 = 1.5 x 105 kg m/s

According to conservation of momentum, i found the velocity to upward direction.

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
    0 = -100 x 1500 + 5000v2
    5v2 = 150
    v2 = 30 m/s

what should do next to find the acceleration
    If I use F=d(mv)/dt
    what is the initial velocity and final velocity. I have no idea about those two & and how to take it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    Hello!
    usually those kind of problems are done first writing momentum at the time t, then at the time t+dt, taking difference P(t+dt)-P(t) and dividing it by dt, then you will get Newton's second law: F= dP/dt, with no external forces F = 0. If you'll get correct expression for P(t) and P(t+dt), then acceleration will pop up in dP/dt expression. just don't forget that mass is changing, and so is velocity, and that gas emitting speed is given relative to the rocket - in writing momentum you need its speed relative to inertial frame (one that is not accelerating).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook