1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of the truck

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 3000kg truck uses a chain to drag a 500kg log down a road at a constant speed of 10m/s. The friction between the ground and the log is 1000N. If the chain suddenly breaks, what is the acceleration of the truck?

2. Relevant equations
    a=F/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was plugging it in and i noticed that there it is not given for the force and i don't how to find the force to do the above equation. I really need help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Step 1: read the problem statement. Step 2: if it appears there's something missing, reread the problem statement.

4. Dec 13, 2014 #3
    Yes but In general I don't get it, it would be helpful if i can have some help :)

5. Dec 13, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a force of 1kN on the chain. What parts of the system is that force acting upon?

6. Dec 13, 2014 #5
    hmmm.. ok

7. Dec 14, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Before the chain broke, the truck and log was maintaining a steady speed. What does that tell you about what the engine is doing?

8. Dec 14, 2014 #7
    could we say that the net force is only the frictional force since the speed of the truck is constant ?

9. Dec 14, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. If the velocity is constant then the net force is ... ?

10. Dec 14, 2014 #9
    Have you drawn separate free body diagrams on the log and on the truck to understand the situation prior to the chain breaking. What forces were acting on the log at that time? What forces were acting on the truck at that time?

Chet

11. Dec 14, 2014 #10
    Oh,, the net force is zero , here .

12. Dec 14, 2014 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. And that zero net force is the resultant of what horizontal forces?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted