1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration on an incline

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    Question: The record for grass skiing was set blah blah blah. Suppose it took Spinka 6.60 s to reach his top speed after he started from rest down a slope with a 34 degree incline. If the coefficient of friction between the skis and the grass was 0.198, what was the magnitude of Spinka's net acceleration? What was his speed after 6.60 s?

Here's what I've done:
    I thought a=g(sinTheta)
    Which gives me
    a = 9.81(sin34)
    a = 5.486 m/s2,
    which isn't right. What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget the friction:

[tex] F_{\rm net} = ma = mg\sin\theta - \mu mg\cos\theta [/tex]

Solve for a (you'll see that m cancels out) and then use kinematics to get the speed part.
  4. Feb 24, 2004 #3
    Well you just seem to know everything don't you? Maybe once I get through a quarter of physics I'll be able to help people too. Thanks once again.
  5. Feb 24, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If only I did... Well, I'm glad I knew enough to help you here. It's also good to hear your willing to help when you can too. Keep up the good work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?