What is the acceleration of the two blocks on a ramp?

In summary: After substituting the values into the equation for ##F=ma##, the acceleration of the hanging block is found to be 16.9m/s^2 downwards.
TheExibo
1. What is the acceleration of the two blocks: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/j...13Gpemd0x2xRIVU0a-BbWCzysCnjbUK_oI6vU8dFIf27q2. F(normal)=(9.8m/s^2)(m)3. For the left block, this is the equation I get: F(net)=2.72a=2.72*9.8-F(tension)

For the right block, i get this: F(net)=5.86a=f(tension)-(9.8*5.86sin27.4)

After substitution of the two, the acceleration I get is 0.00266m/s^2 downward, but then I tried again and got 16.9m/s^2. Not sure what's going on. Friction can be ignored. Anyone else get an answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram including all the forces acting on both the blocks and also include the tension experienced by the string, and try hitting the problem again.

TheExibo said:
After substitution of the two, the acceleration I get is 0.00266m/s^2 downward, but then I tried again and got 16.9m/s^2.
The equations are right but both answers are wrong.
The second would mean the hanging block is falling faster than if the string were cut!
Please post your working.

There will be two tension forces, corresponding to both the blocks, trying to oppose its motion. When we add up these tension forces, after cancelling the smaller tension, the net tension is found to be towards the hanging block, that is,away from the block on the ramp.

Now imagine the whole system (which contains both the blocks) to be moving under the influence of a single net force which is a consequence of the forces experienced by both the block individually (due to gravity).

So the acceleration can be found by manipulating the net tension (actually taking the negative of the net tension, because the net force experienced by the block is in the opposite direction but with the same magnitude as the tension) and using the formula ##F=ma## .

NOTE: The force experienced due to the gravity on the block which is on the ramp is only along the plane of the ramp.

I would appreciate solving the problem by assigning arbitrary variables for the mass of both the blocks and the angle of incline of the ramp. Break down the problem into a final equation containing all these variables and substitute the values.

Your former answer (##0.00266\frac{m}{s^2}##) seems correct (and is quite reasonable) but the decimal point is misplaced. Try again!

Last edited:

I would first like to clarify that the acceleration of the two blocks on a ramp would depend on the angle of the ramp, the mass of the blocks, and any external forces acting on them. Without knowing these variables, it is difficult to accurately calculate the acceleration.

However, based on the information provided, it seems that the person who posted the content is attempting to use Newton's Second Law, F=ma, to calculate the acceleration of the blocks. This is a valid approach, but it is important to make sure that all the forces acting on the blocks are correctly identified and accounted for in the equations.

In this case, it seems that the person may have made an error in identifying the forces acting on the blocks. The equation for the left block should be F(net)=2.72a=2.72*9.8-F(tension)-F(normal), as both gravity and the normal force are acting on the block. Similarly, for the right block, the equation should be F(net)=5.86a=F(tension)-F(normal)-F(friction), as all three of these forces are acting on the block.

Without knowing the values of the tension and friction forces, it is not possible to accurately calculate the acceleration. However, it is important to note that the acceleration for both blocks should be in the same direction (either upwards or downwards), as they are connected by a rope and will move together.

In conclusion, while the approach used by the person who posted the content is correct, it is important to accurately identify and account for all the forces acting on the blocks in order to calculate the acceleration accurately.

1. What is acceleration on ramps?

Acceleration on ramps refers to the change in velocity of an object as it moves up or down a ramp. It is a combination of the object's acceleration due to gravity and the ramp's slope.

2. How is acceleration on ramps calculated?

Acceleration on ramps can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the ramp's slope.

3. Does the mass of the object affect acceleration on ramps?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration on ramps. Heavier objects will experience a greater force due to gravity, resulting in a higher acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between the ramp's slope and acceleration on ramps?

The ramp's slope has a direct relationship with acceleration on ramps. As the slope increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does friction affect acceleration on ramps?

Friction can decrease acceleration on ramps by creating a counteracting force. This can be minimized by using a smooth surface for the ramp or by reducing the weight of the object.