1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration problem (HELP!)

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    A jet is diving vertically downward at 1200 km/h. If the pilot can withstand a maxiumum acceleration of 5g before losing consciousness, at what height must the plane start a quarter turn to pull out of the dive? Assume the speed remains constant.

I really don't know where to start here....All I've done is convert 1200 km/h to m/s and draw the jet's ideal flight path

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi jcumby! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Obviously, the jet has to complete the 90º turn before it reaches the ground!

So essentially the question is asking, if you go in a circle at 1200 km/h, what is the radius at which the maximum acceleration is 5g (or is it 4g or 6g :confused:). :smile:

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    The speed remains constant? So acceleration = 0? Sounds like a dodgy question again...? Maybe someone else can help you.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi minifhncc! :smile:

The speed is constant, but the velocity isn't. :wink:

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    Well judging by the question, I'd imagine it would've had asked something along the lines of how far it can accelerate down at 9.8ms-2 and then when or after how much travelling to turn to get the correct force/acceleration for 5g, but anyhow...

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … that would be free-falling … the question is about powered flight, with constant speed. :wink:

8. Sep 29, 2008 #7
    Yes, but the question is asking at what height the plane needs to turn so that acceleration is under 5g. It doesn't ask what height it needs to turn to avoid hitting the ground... You see now?

EDIT: I can see where you're getting at, but I still think it's a dodgy question.

9. Sep 29, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At constant speed, the acceleration depends only on the radius, not the height! :smile:

So why else would the question ask for the height? :wink:

Not hitting the ground is very important!

10. Sep 29, 2008 #9
    Yeah I suck at word based stuff, Maths is my main 'area of expertise' =P

11. Jan 30, 2012 #10
    Re: Welcome to PF!

An excellent explanation. I was doing the same as OP and completely forgot about circular motion.

Another helpful tip for this question- a = (v2)/r or r = (v2)/a

Don't forget to keep your units uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?