Package Drop Time Calculation for Ascending Helicopter

In summary, a helicopter with a vertical speed of 5.10 m/s drops a package from a height of 115m above the Earth. Using the kinematic equation, it can be determined that the package takes 5.40 seconds to reach the ground. The variables used in the equation are the initial vertical velocity (u) and the acceleration due to gravity (g), with the equation being 0=115 + 5.1t - 4.9t^2.
halbe1

Homework Statement

A helicopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 5.10 m/s. At a height of 115m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground? [Hint: v_0 for the package equals the speed of the helicopter.]

Homework Equations

x=x_0 + v_0t+ (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the kinematic equation

[tex]y=y_0 +ut - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

will help you.

rock.freak667 said:
the kinematic equation

[tex]y=y_0 +ut - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

will help you.

So what does "u" stand for and does "g" stand for gravity?

halbe1 said:
So what does "u" stand for and does "g" stand for gravity?

u is the initial velocity and g is acceleration due to gravity

The "u" stands for the initial vertical velocity (or in the case of not being directly straight up... the vertical component of the initial velocity).

The "g" does stand for the gravitational constant of the Earth.

It will probably help if you just draw a cartesian grid, label your x and y, then decide where you want the positive and negative values to be.

For example, if you want to make "up" the positive y, and "right" the positive x, and consider the x-axis itself to be the Earth... Then then helicopter is traveling at a positive vertical velocity relative to that of gravity which would be in the negative direction since it is always toward Earth and you decided the x-axis was earth.

Your Ys are the displacement distances...

Plug in the values, finish the math and you are done. It's a good idea to ALWAYS draw your word problems out.

I hope that helped.

Alright but what do I do once I get to 0=-115+5.10t+4.9t^2?

What are you looking for? Is what you are looking for one of the variables you have left in the equation?

If so, solve the equation.

What does the variable you show there stand for? Is that what you are looking for?

Yea, I'm trying to get t in seconds. I tried factoring out a t and then getting two answers for t, t=0 and t=-113. So I know neither of those are right.

You box is traveling down... not up... and if you made toward the Earth be the negative direction, then you have to put a negative direction as your final displacement... which will give you positive 115 when you move it to the other side of the equation before you plug it into the quadratic formula...

That should work... it looks like you got the initial velocity and acceleration values right.

Wait no... the formula is + 1/2 gt^2... and your gravity (g is basically the same for the y direction as a is in the x direction of your initial equation) is in the negative direction... so you would end up with an equation 0=115 + 5.1t - 4.9t^2...

Then you'll have the right answer.

I got 5.40 is that right?

Last edited:

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down.

What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it took for that change to occur. Then, plug those values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to find the acceleration.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

What are some real-world examples of acceleration?

Some real-world examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going up or down a hill, and a person running and then suddenly stopping. Any change in an object's velocity over time is considered acceleration.