What is the average acceleration of the Nissan Leaf in m/s/s?

• Thread starter connphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: I can't help if you're not using compatible units. Sorry about that. In summary, the Nissan Leaf can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 9.9 seconds. Assuming this data is correct, the average acceleration of the Leaf is 2.709 meters per second squared.
connphysics
Although Nissan hasn't advertised it, other sources report that the Nissan Leaf electric car can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 9.9 seconds. Assuming THIS data is correct, What is the AVERAGE acceleration of the Leaf in m/s/s ? (meters per second squared) ?

I know I should be using Vf-Vi / t ?

helppp

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi
You have the right formula. Just convert mph to metres per second and bob's yer uncle.

ok...I think I just did...and I got an average accel of 2.709 m s s ...sound right to you ?

First make sure you're using compatible units, and then the problem almost solves itself.

i got it thanks ! one more question - if a cars mass is 1604 kg and it is traveling at a speed of 60 mph ...then it's KE is .5 X 1604 X 60 squared = a KE of 2,88,200 J ...now...my question is...using the work energy theorem - what is the TOTAL WORK done to get to a speed of 60 mph ??

The useful work is the same as the final KE so you've done that already. The actual work would be a lot more than that. Efficiency comes into it but it's hard to estimate that.

so...the TOTAL work would be 2,887,200 J ?

the total work to get to a speed of 60 mph ?

That is the definition of useful work done on the car. I was being a bit of a smartarse there; I said nothing about air resistance or friction. That's another can of worms. To work that out you'd either need to have some way of measuring the torque from the engine and to integrate torque times revs from 0 to 60. or to look at the engine characteristics under the various speeds and loads and the drag factor of the car body at various speeds. That would be a lot lot more, of course. Definitely not trivial.

ahh..I see...yeah...not trivial at all ;) Centaur - one final question for you ...how can I calculate the AVERAGE power during the acceleration of 9.9 s ?

Same problem as before, I think. "Useful power" would be your KE/9.9s

Hang on . . . . where did you get that figure for KE from? You seem to have used mph and not m/s. That's not on, I'm afraid, if you want the answer to be in J.

Units, Units, Units all the way.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position over time, while acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. Velocity is a vector quantity, while acceleration is a vector quantity. Velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), while acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less its acceleration will be.

What are some examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going down a hill, a ball being thrown into the air, and a person jumping off a diving board. Essentially, any time an object's velocity changes, it is experiencing acceleration.