Acceleration Problem: Calculating Force of Pet 2

In summary, Lisa has harnessed two pets to a wagon with a mass of 12 kg. Pet 1 exerts a force of 5 N at 15 degrees left of forward, while Pet 2 exerts a force at 30 degrees right of forward. To find the combined force on the wagon, the tension in the ropes must be calculated. By setting the X-Components of the two forces equal and opposite, the force exerted by Pet 2 can be found to be 2.588N. A picture was also provided, but the solution is based on the forces and their components.
dimava
Hi guys,

I have a homework problem which I can use some help with:

Lisa harnesses two pets to a wagon. The mass of the wagon is 12 kg, and it rolls without friction on a horizontal floor. Pet 1 is pulling at 15 degrees left of forward with the force of 5 N. Pet 2 is pulling at 30 degrees right of forward. How much force does Pet 2 exert if the wagon acclerates straight forward?

I also attached a picture

thanks in advance,

Dimava

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm kind of lazy to do actual math for you, but I will give you hints on doing it.

First off, when you got two pets moving in different directions like that, you will definitally want to find the tension in the ropes to the wagon. By finding the tension caused by the pulling, you should be able to find the combined force on the wagon.

I think I got it, does 2.588N sound about right?

I don't know where this attached picture is, but...

Code:
\<--^  ^-->/
 \15|  |30/
  \ |  | /
F=5\|_ |/F=x
   | \\ |
   | \\ |
   | \\ | <--- Wagon
    ----
So basically this is how it has to work. Since the wagon is going to accelerate straight forward, you want the X-Components of each force which pet 1 and pet 2 exert to be equal and opposite, and hence no acceleration in either the left or right direction.

the X-Component for pet 1 will be 5*sin 15. The X-Component for pet 2 must be equal so:

5*sin 15 = x sin 30

solving for x:

x := (5*sin 15)/(sin 30)

this will give you the force which pet 2 exerts on the wagon

Or at least this is how I interpreted the question.

edit:Ok, you posted heheh. Yes, that is the same answer as I got, so I'm assuming you did it correctly :)

Last edited:
I used almost the same thing, but did the cos of the supplements but same idea, thanks for your reply :smile:

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How can we determine the acceleration of a pet?

To determine the acceleration of a pet, we need to measure its change in velocity over a specific period of time. This can be done by using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the pet to travel a known distance.

3. What is the formula for calculating force in an acceleration problem?

The formula for calculating force in an acceleration problem is force = mass x acceleration, where mass is measured in kilograms and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. How does the force of a pet's acceleration affect its movement?

The force of a pet's acceleration directly affects its movement. The greater the force, the faster the pet will accelerate and the quicker it will reach its final velocity.

5. Can different factors affect the force of a pet's acceleration?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the force of a pet's acceleration, including its mass, the surface it is moving on, and any external forces acting on the pet (such as friction or air resistance).