1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    Is there situations when an object is accelerating but its velicoty is zero ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    No, you can't have an accelerating object (acceleration <>0) with constant velocity = 0.

Now, you can have an acceleration with velocity =0 only on discrete instants:
    when you throw and object upward, it will go up until it stops (velocity=0) for a tiny instant, then falls back. The acceleration of the object is not null and constant = gravity.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2[/QUOTE]

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. for example, if you throw an object straight up, it has a constant downward acceleration, but its velocity at the top of its path is zero.
    Of course, if there is acceleration, the velocity is not conatant, but is instantaneously zero.

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    If acceleration is zero (no change in velocity), and velocity is zero at one point, velocity is always zero.

If acceleration is zero (no change in velocity), and velocity is nonzero at one point, velocity is always that nonzero value.

If acceleration is a nonzero constant, the velocity is at sometime instantaneously zero.

A changing acceleration does not necessarily imply any particular velocity.

6. Sep 24, 2007 #5

Mk

No. If constant velocity (implied constant direction), no change in acceleration.

That's the standard textbook answer, but Meir Achuz's sounds right to me:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?