1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration problem

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    • Member warned about using the template.
    1. A rope connecting a 10 and 20 lb weight passes over a cylinder. The rope-cylinder friction coefficient is 0.2. Rope mass, cylinder radius not given.

2. Solve for downward acceleration of the heavy 20 lb block

3. I'm confused because this problem doesn't give a mass for the rope, so I assumed we could neglect friction. Then after writing force/tension equations for both masses and combining them, I got 10.7 ft/s^2 as the answer, which isn't one of the options.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Even if the rope is massless the masses hanging from it will produce a force on the cylinder. After all, the cylinder is supporting the mass-rope system.

Friction of a rope wrapped around a fixed cylinder is more complicated than the usual frictional force between flat surfaces. Tensions come into play along with the total angle of the "wrap" of the rope. Has this type of frictional setup been presented to you in your course? If not, look up the "Capstan Equation".

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you done the calculation? I get a value lower than any of the offered answers.

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I have, and I also get a lower value. Looking at the image it seems that the "20 lb" tag may have changed at some point in order to "refresh" the question. Could be the answer choices were not updated. This can be frustrating for students!

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well spotted. But I reverse-engineered the mass from the answers and don't get anything encouraging: C)120.8 to 122.4 lb, D) 56 to 56.5 lb, E) 21.2 to 21.3 lb. 120 lb looks hopeful, but it gives 23.5, not 23.6. Other options imply g is being taken as 32.2, which is what I've used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted