Solve Acceleration Problems: 0 m/s to 50 m/s in 40 sec

• Thread starter christinacone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between time, velocity, and acceleration in a car. The first question asks for the car's initial velocity, which is determined to be 0 m/s since it starts at rest. The second question asks for the car's acceleration, which is found to be 1.25 m/s^2 using the formula a=v(final)-v(initial)/t. The third question presents a scenario where a car starts from rest and has a constant acceleration of 4m/s^2. Using the formula x=Vinital*t+1/2a(tpower2), the car's distance traveled in the first 3 seconds is calculated to be 18m. The conversation highlights the difference between speed and
christinacone
The first one is
It takes 40sec for a car at rest to reach a velocity of 50 m/s. What is the car's initial velocity?
a. 0 m/s
b. 1.25 m/s
c. 1.25 m/s2
d. 50 m/s
e. 50 m/s2
I think the equation is a=v(final)-v(intial)/t
but it can't be because doesn't a(acceleration)= m/s2?
so there for you don't have the number acceleration to plug in??
Also I think I think v(final) is 50 m/s... and I don't knbow but if something
is at rest then wouldn't that be v(intial)?? Please help! I am so confused! OMG
I really need to know this for a upcoming test

The next one is.
It takes 40sec for a car at rest to reach a velocity of 50 m/s. What is the car's acceleration?
I know the answer for this one but what is confusing me is that I have to choices for this answer and they are
A. 1.25 m/s
B. 1.25 m/s2

could you explain to me which one is right and how did you come to get that
this is how I solved this problem

I used a=v(final)-v(initial)/t(time)
The v(final) is 50m/s and the v(initial) is 0 because the car started at rest.
and the t is 40 (because its in seconds
I subtracted 50-0 then divded it by 40.

Last but not least:
A car starts from rest has a constant acceleration of 4m/s2. In the first 3s the car travels
a. 6m
b. 12m
c. 18m
d. 172m
I really do not understand this one. Do you use the acceleration formula.

PLEASE HELP! I went to tutoring at my university and they didn't know how to do them either! So help me smart people lol.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. At rest means just that, this seems like a trick question but it isn't, you are supposed to know that without doubts. V=0

2. HINT! The International units of measure for acceleration are ... ?

3. The relevant formula is the acceleration formula x=Vinital*t+1/2a(tpower2) (t squared for all things.)
Again the initial speed is like in the first.

Now i see you didn't understand the second m/s2 m/s

m/s means how many meters per second an object gains (travels). than means speed

m/s^2 means how much speed(m/s) per second an object gains (acceleration).

You used a formula. Maybe something like a=v/t well this means that a=m/s/s=m/s^2 (for best results keep in mind that v=m/s )

1. How do you calculate acceleration?

In order to calculate acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity (in this case, 0 m/s), the final velocity (50 m/s), and the time (40 sec). The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

The standard units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²). However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s²) or kilometers per hour squared (km/hr²) may also be used.

3. What does a positive or negative acceleration mean?

A positive acceleration means that an object is speeding up, while a negative acceleration means that it is slowing down. In this problem, the acceleration is positive because the final velocity is greater than the initial velocity.

4. How does acceleration relate to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In other words, it measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing over time. In this problem, the acceleration is 1.25 m/s², which means that the velocity is increasing by 1.25 meters per second every second.

5. Can you use the same formula to solve for acceleration in different scenarios?

Yes, the formula for acceleration (a = (vf - vi) / t) can be used to solve for acceleration in any scenario as long as you have the initial and final velocities, as well as the time. It is a general formula that applies to all situations involving acceleration.