Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration question?

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    HI I just need to know how to calculate acceleration given the following question or atl east point me in the right direction? Three friends are snowboarding? One has a mass of 50kg, one has a mass of 100kg and one has a mass of 150kg. The hill inclination is 60 degrees. There is a coeffecient of static friction of .10/ Calculate acceleration for each igrnoning air resistance.....

Thanks and let me know

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2
    Well forget about the other 2 riders and just deal with 1 at a time. Draw a freebody diagram and define a coordinate system in which the x-axis is paralell to the slope. That way you can simply break all the vecotrs into x-components and deal with them that way. Only equation you need is Fnet = ma. Remember Fnet means the sum of all the forces acting on the object. There are 3 forces in this problem that can be acting on the person.

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    I get it up until that point...I get lost after doing that leg work. I know that you do sin cos tan...find the missing vector quantities, but then get sort of stuck? Do I just need to find the missing vector quantities, then divide the total by the mass? I dont assume I have to change the kg to newtons correct?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook