1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration question?

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    HI I just need to know how to calculate acceleration given the following question or atl east point me in the right direction? Three friends are snowboarding? One has a mass of 50kg, one has a mass of 100kg and one has a mass of 150kg. The hill inclination is 60 degrees. There is a coeffecient of static friction of .10/ Calculate acceleration for each igrnoning air resistance.....

Thanks and let me know

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2
    Well forget about the other 2 riders and just deal with 1 at a time. Draw a freebody diagram and define a coordinate system in which the x-axis is paralell to the slope. That way you can simply break all the vecotrs into x-components and deal with them that way. Only equation you need is Fnet = ma. Remember Fnet means the sum of all the forces acting on the object. There are 3 forces in this problem that can be acting on the person.

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    I get it up until that point...I get lost after doing that leg work. I know that you do sin cos tan...find the missing vector quantities, but then get sort of stuck? Do I just need to find the missing vector quantities, then divide the total by the mass? I dont assume I have to change the kg to newtons correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?