Calculating Velocity and Displacement Using Acceleration Formula | Train Example

In summary, the problem involves finding the train's velocity and displacement using calculus, given the acceleration equation and initial velocity.
MagMag
I'm a little stuck on this:

Suppose that the acceleration of a train during the interval of time from t=2 s to t=4 s is a=2t m/s^2, and at t=2 s its velocity is 180km/h

Using formulas: Velocity v=ds/dt and acceleration a =dv/dt, determine:

(a) the train’s velocity at t=4 s,

and;

(b) the displacement (change in position) from time t=2 s to t= 4 s

I should really be able to do this but for some reason my mind has frozen so I was hoping for some help or some nudges in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
MagMag said:
I'm a little stuck on this:

Suppose that the acceleration of a train during the interval of time from t=2 s to t=4 s is a=2t m/s^2, and at t=2 s its velocity is 180km/h

Using formulas: Velocity v=ds/dt and acceleration a =dv/dt, determine:

(a) the train’s velocity at t=4 s,

and;

(b) the displacement (change in position) from time t=2 s to t= 4 s

I should really be able to do this but for some reason my mind has frozen so I was hoping for some help or some nudges in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

Given the way the question is asked, you should approach this as a calculus problem rather than a physics problem, so disregard the typical kinematics equations.

You are given a = 2t and a = dv/dt, so it follows that dv/dt = 2t. You are also given the interval of t = 2 to t = 4. Knowing the basics of integral calculus, how do you find the equation for V? (don't forget to add in the initial velocity)

Once you get the equation for V, and given that V = ds/dt, how do you find an equation for distance travelled?

I can understand how the concept of velocity and displacement can be confusing at times. Let's break down this problem step by step to help you better understand.

First, we are given the acceleration of the train during the time interval of t=2 s to t=4 s, which is a=2t m/s^2. This means that the acceleration is changing over time, as it is dependent on the variable t.

Next, we are given the train's velocity at t=2 s, which is 180 km/h. However, we need to convert this to m/s to use in our calculations. We know that 1 km = 1000 m and 1 h = 3600 s. Therefore, 180 km/h = (180 * 1000) / (3600) = 50 m/s.

Now, let's use the formula v=ds/dt to find the train's velocity at t=4 s. We know that s is the displacement, and t is the time. Since we are given the acceleration and the initial velocity, we can use the formula v=u+at, where u is the initial velocity. Substituting in the values, we get:

v = (50 m/s) + (2 * 4 s) = 50 m/s + 8 m/s^2 = 58 m/s

Therefore, the train's velocity at t=4 s is 58 m/s.

Moving on to part (b), we need to find the displacement from t=2 s to t=4 s. We can use the formula s=ut+1/2at^2, where u is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. Substituting in the values, we get:

s = (50 m/s * 2 s) + 1/2 * (2 * 4 s^2) = 100 m + 1/2 * 8 s^2 = 100 m + 16 m = 116 m

Therefore, the displacement from t=2 s to t=4 s is 116 m.

I hope this explanation helped you understand the problem better. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller steps and use the appropriate formulas to solve it. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with these concepts. Good luck!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's speed is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's speed is decreasing. Positive acceleration is represented by a positive value, while negative acceleration is represented by a negative value.

4. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a ball rolling down a hill, a rocket taking off, and a person jumping off a diving board. In all of these cases, the objects are experiencing a change in speed or direction, and therefore, acceleration.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Acceleration is a key component in Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can result in acceleration.