1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Question

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    An Automobile starting from a rest at t=0 undergoes constant acceleration on a staight line. It is observed to pass two marks separated by 64m, first at t=8 and the second at t=12s. What is the value of the acceleration?

I know how to find the Vel. from this (64m/4s) but i dont understand how im able to find the acceleration?

The answer in the book is 1.6 m/s^2 but i what to understand how to do it. Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1.Your expression for the (instantaneous) velocity is totally wrong; you're mixing up with the average velocity.

2. Ask yourself:
    How is "distance travelled in time t" related to constant acceleration?

3. Welcome to PF!
  4. Sep 6, 2004 #3
    Man im so lost. Ok i relized i used the average velocity, but what i need to do is use the instantaneous velocity? I never did understand inst. vel?

Thanks for welcoming me, i loved physics in high school but so far this college physics is :confused: :mad: :cry:
  5. Sep 6, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

OK, let's take it slow&easy:
    What formulas do you know which is about constant acceleration?
  6. Sep 6, 2004 #5
    constant acceleration =(v(t2)-v(t1))/(t2-t1) = chance in v over the change in time.
  7. Sep 6, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know d= (1/2)a t2 for constant acceleration starting from rest?
  8. Sep 6, 2004 #7
    So i guess i can try and use the formula and switch it around. a=2d/(t^2)
  9. Sep 6, 2004 #8
    ummm but the problems is that this in not from a dead stop.
  10. Sep 6, 2004 #9
    Either the answer in the book is wrong, or the question is flawed.

we know that vi = 0

so vf/2 = 64/8 = 16m/s

a = 16m/s/8s = 2m/s^2. If the acceleration is constant then it should be 2m/s^2 the whole time. However, i don't know where the 1.6m/s^2 came from, unless it didn't start from rest....
  11. Sep 6, 2004 #10
    Well it starts from a rest but what we are looking is already moving. It start at 0 but what we are looking at is the section from 8t to 12t
  12. Sep 6, 2004 #11

read it once more....

and besides if it's constant acceleration, it should be the same in the second section.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?