Hockey Player Acceleration Question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving two hockey players, one chasing the other on a frozen pond. The question asks how long it will take for the first player to catch the second player, who is moving at a constant speed of 12m/s. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, ultimately using a kinematic equation to determine the time it will take for the players to occupy the same space. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of the quadratic formula and how it is used to solve the equation.
MalusIgnis
Hi,
I'm a physics newbie wondering if I've done this question right. I'll type the question as it is in my assignment along with my interpretation of it.

A hockey player is standing on his skates on a frozen pond when an opposing player skates by with the puck, moving with a constant speed of 12m/s. After 3s, the first player makes up his mind to chase his opponent and starts accelerating uniformly at 4m/s^2. How long does it take him to catch the opponent?

First, I found that after 3 seconds the opposing player (P1) will be 36m away from P2. So I calculated how long it would take P2 to travel 36m at 4m/s^2. But in that length of time P1 would have traveled an additional x number of metres. So I calculated how long it would take P2 to travel those additional x number of meters. I kept doing this until they were (roughly) at the same point.
Strangely, the speed of P2 ended up being some unrealistic amount akin to a speeding car.

Did I do this question correctly?
Thanks to any who try and help. I really appreciate it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically that might work, but practically that would be a nightmare. For your problem, we are interested in when the two players are essentially occupying the same space. You started out correctly... when the second player starts after the first player, they are 36 meters apart. Now let's look at one of the kinematic equations for constant acceleration:

x = xi + Vit + (1/2)at2

x is the position of the hockey player relative to an origin point we select. For this case, it would be best to call the position of the second hockey player at t=0 the origin, or x=0.

xi is the inital position of the hockey player, while Vi is the inital velocity of the hockey player. t represents time in seconds, while 'a' is the acceleration of the hockey player. We would begin by modeling both of the hockey players with this equation.

For the first hockey player, his inital position at t=0 would be 36 meters, since that is his distance from the origin we described. We know that his inital velocity is 12 m/s, and we know that he is not accelerating, which means a = 0. Our equation for him would be

x1 = 36 + 12t

For the second hockey player, we are told his acceleration, and we know he starts from rest, .i.e. Vi=0, and he is initally at the origin, so his equation is

x2 = (1/2)(4 m/s2)t2

We are interested in the case when they occupy the same space, or

x1 = x2

So let's set them equal.

(1/2)(4)t2 = 36 + 12t

Solve for t, throw out the negative root as it doesn't make sense. You have your answer.

This is the first time I posted homework help, so if I've given away too much forgive me. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you Antepolleo!
That helps me greatly. I spent a very long time doing it the impractical way, but it didn't feel right :)

I'm happy to help.

Did I explain that alright? Do you have any questions about it?

Actually I do.
I'm trying to solve for t, and my algebra skills aren't what they used to be. I'm assuming by "throw out the negative root" you mean ignoring the solution of t=0.

So, if I have this:
(1/2)(4m/s^2)t^2=36+12t

Can that be simplified to:
0=(12m/s-2m/s^2t)t+36?

If so, I get t=12/2+36

Originally posted by MalusIgnis
Actually I do.
I'm trying to solve for t, and my algebra skills aren't what they used to be. I'm assuming by "throw out the negative root" you mean ignoring the solution of t=0.

So, if I have this:
(1/2)(4m/s^2)t^2=36+12t

Can that be simplified to:
0=(12m/s-2m/s^2t)t+36?

If so, I get t=12/2+36

I'm sorry about that, I accidentally included the units with the acceleration and not with anything else. Try solving this:

(1/2)(4)t2 = 36 + 12t

(1/2)(4)t^2 = 36 + 12t
2t^2=36+12t
t^2=18+6t
This makes perfect sense so far, but I forget how I am supposed to factor out the t in 6t.
Sorry, it's been a while since I've done algebra :)

silly me, don't I need to use the quadratic formula with this equation?

Plugging in those numbers I get 8.2 seconds.
That makes sense. I think I'm done now :)
Thanks again!

Glad I could help.

Now if only someone would answer my thread... :smile:

1. What factors affect a hockey player's acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect a hockey player's acceleration, including their strength, technique, and skating ability. Additionally, factors such as the quality of their equipment and the playing surface can also play a role.

2. How can a hockey player improve their acceleration?

Hockey players can improve their acceleration by focusing on strength and conditioning training, practicing proper skating technique, and using appropriate equipment. They can also work on their explosiveness and quickness through drills and exercises specifically designed for acceleration.

3. Is acceleration more important than top speed in hockey?

Both acceleration and top speed are important in hockey, but acceleration is typically more crucial in game situations. This is because hockey is a fast-paced sport that requires players to quickly change direction and react to their surroundings, which requires quick bursts of speed rather than sustained top speed.

4. Can a player's body type impact their acceleration?

Yes, a player's body type can impact their acceleration. Generally, players with stronger and more muscular legs have an advantage in terms of acceleration. However, smaller and more agile players may also excel in this area due to their lower center of gravity and quickness.

5. How do different types of ice surfaces affect a player's acceleration?

The type of ice surface can have a significant impact on a player's acceleration. A smoother, well-maintained ice surface allows for better gliding and less resistance, resulting in faster acceleration. However, rough or soft ice can slow down a player's acceleration and make it more difficult to gain speed.