Discover Acceleration Questions and Answers with Given Data

In summary, the direction of acceleration is the same as the direction of the "PUSH." If the object is initially at rest and accelerating right, the velocity will increase. If the object is initially moving right and accelerating right, the velocity will also increase. However, if the object is initially moving left and accelerating right, the velocity will decrease. This can be seen in the example of tossing a ball straight up, where the push is provided by the hand and the acceleration is caused by gravity.
1irishman
Does anyone know the answers given the following data?

The direction of the acceleration is the same as the direction of the "PUSH." Describe what would happen to the velocity of the object if it was:

a)accelerating right (+i), initially at rest

b)accelerating right (+i), initially moving to the right (+i)

c)accelerating right (+i), initially moving to the left(-i)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)the object would have increasing velocity

b)the object would have increasing velocity

c)the object would have decreasing velocity

those are my guesses

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are right, but you called them "guesses", so what was your rationale for those answers?

a and b are the magnitude for velocity and c is the direction and magnitude? That was my rational...is that right?

Sort of, positive acceleration in the same direction as velocity means an increase, while a positive acceleration in the opposite direction as velocity means a decrease (well, at least initially).

Okay, thank you! So for example: would a positve acceleration in the opposite direction of the push be say like...tossing a ball straight up in the air? The push being my hand tossing the ball up and the acceleration being gravity?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing, while velocity measures how quickly an object is moving.

3. What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object is accelerating, its speed changes by the given amount (m/s).

5. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, meaning the object is speeding up. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object's velocity and acceleration are in opposite directions, meaning the object is slowing down.