1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Questions

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know the answers given the following data?

The direction of the acceleration is the same as the direction of the "PUSH." Describe what would happen to the velocity of the object if it was:

a)accelerating right (+i), initially at rest

b)accelerating right (+i), initially moving to the right (+i)

c)accelerating right (+i), initially moving to the left(-i)

3. The attempt at a solution

a)the object would have increasing velocity

b)the object would have increasing velocity

c)the object would have decreasing velocity

those are my guesses
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    Those are right, but you called them "guesses", so what was your rationale for those answers?

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    a and b are the magnitude for velocity and c is the direction and magnitude? That was my rational...is that right?

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    Sort of, positive acceleration in the same direction as velocity means an increase, while a positive acceleration in the opposite direction as velocity means a decrease (well, at least initially).

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5
    Okay, thank you! So for example: would a positve acceleration in the opposite direction of the push be say like....tossing a ball straight up in the air? The push being my hand tossing the ball up and the acceleration being gravity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook