Acceleration and Rotational Kinetic Energy in a Rigidly Mounted Cylinder System

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
In summary, a lightweight cylinder of radius R/2 is rigidly mounted to a heavier cylinder of mass m and radius R. Cords are wound around the cylinders in opposite directions, with identical masses m hung from the cords. The cylinders turn clockwise due to the larger torque on the heavier cylinder. To find the acceleration of the mass on the larger cylinder, the tension in the wire is equated to the tangential force from the pulley and the torque equation is used. The final result is found to be 2F/mR. The problem can be solved by solving 5 equations in 5 unknowns.
tandoorichicken
A cylinder of mass m and radius R is rigidly mounted to the same shaft as a lightweight cylinder of radius R/2. The shaft is free to turn with negligible friction. Cords are wound in opposite directions about the cylinders, and identical masses m are hung from the cords. a) Which way do the cylinders turn? (clockwise) b) what is the acceleration of the mass hung on the cylinder of radius R?

The actual problem comes with a picture that has a cord coming off the right side of the big disk and a cord coming off the left side of the small disk. I know the assembly spins clockwise because the mass on the big cylinder has more torque than the one on the small cylinder.

Part B I'm not so sure about. Basically I equated the tension in the wire to the tangental force from the pulley, and wrote the torque equation: [itex] \tau = R F [/itex]. From there I went to [itex] R F = I\alpha = \frac{1}{2} mR^2\alpha [/itex] and solved for [itex] \alpha [/itex]. The final result was [itex] \alpha = \frac{2F}{mR} [/itex]. My only question is did I do it right and if not what other factors do I need to include?

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably need to account for the other weight on the little cylinder right?

The problem was solved by two of my friends in half a page. It is basically solving 5 equations in 5 unknowns. If anyone is interested in seeing the exact steps, please reply to this post.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration related to rotational kinetic energy?

In rotational motion, acceleration is related to angular velocity and radius through the equation a = ω^2r, where a is acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation. This acceleration is responsible for the rotational kinetic energy of an object.

3. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is given by the equation KE = 1/2Iω^2, where KE is kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How does rotational kinetic energy differ from linear kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. They are both forms of kinetic energy, but their calculations and physical manifestations differ.

5. How can rotational kinetic energy be increased?

Rotational kinetic energy can be increased by increasing either the moment of inertia or the angular velocity of an object. This can be achieved by increasing the mass or radius of rotation, or by applying a torque to the object.