1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration/time graphs

1. Jul 12, 2004 #1
    Acceleration/time graphs!!!!!

Hey all...

I'm having tons of trouble with what seems to be an extremely easy question. :mad:

The question portrays a toy car...which can move in either direction along a horizontal line (the + position axis) The car is given a large force toward the right of constant magnitude is applied to the car. (it says to assume that friction is so small that it can be ignored).

The task is to sketch on an acceleration/time graph a solid line caused by the applied large force.

My guess was that the graph would look like a perfectly straight line somewhere above zero...but im usually always wrong about this kind of thing :cry:

Can anyone help me??? Thanks!! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a constant net force, and a constant mass, what do you think the acceleration would be like? Calculate the acceleration of the object for a few different points in time if you need to. The actual calculation won't be important, the important part will be realizing that the actual calculation isn't important. ;)

4. Jul 13, 2004 #3
    im turning in my homework with the answer to this as a solid, STRAIGHT, and HORIZONTAL line above the zero mark....

just curious - did i get it right? :) ...or wrong? :uhh:

5. Jul 13, 2004 #4
    Right. F = ma you said the force was constant, we know the mass is constant, thus the acceleration must be constant as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?