How Is Acceleration Calculated for Space Travel Via Cannon?

In summary: Set up a differential equation which includes air resistance as a function of altitude and velocity and gravity as a function of altitude.2. Solve said equation.Assuming a projectile has negligible air resistance and gravity is constant at Earth's surface, the acceleration will be a function of the length of the barrel.
aiop
The distance from the Earth's surface to the boundary of space is 100km. What i was wondering is how to calculate the acceleration you would need, incorporating air resistance and gravity to travel this distance. If you were being launched by a canon.

So the initial acceleration, if someone knows the formulas that you could use that would be awesome, thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
aiop said:
The distance from the Earth's surface to the boundary of space is 100km. What i was wondering is how to calculate the acceleration you would need, incorporating air resistance and gravity to travel this distance. If you were being launched by a canon.

So the initial acceleration, if someone knows the formulas that you could use that would be awesome, thanks! :)

Try googling for "escape velocity".

Google escape velocity

[edit] Ha !

Note that it's not a matter of acceleration: a simple ##g## is enough to get started

If you are using a cannon, the acceleration is a function of the length of the barrel.

russ_watters said:
If you are using a cannon, the acceleration is a function of the length of the barrel.
If the cannon is 100 km in height, one can call it an "elevator" and use negligible acceleration.

Likes Bystander and russ_watters
aiop said:

If you are actually thinking of sending humans up that way, forget it. Suppose you had a 100 meter long cannon. Escape velocity is about 40,000 km/hr or about 11 km/second. It would take at least twice that velocity out the cannon to get to escape velocity because of atmospheric friction. Let's suppose you could achieve escape by doubling the cannon velocity to 22 km/second you would need to get to in 100 meters. The formula says it would take about 2000 g and the time in the cannon would be about 1/10th of a second. Of course, if a human was inside, she would be a mass of bloody skin and bones at the bottom of the vehicle and be quite dead before leaving the cannon.

But if you did 2000 g's for 1/10th of a second you would be up to about 80,000 km/hr in 100 yards. That would be double escape velocity and you would also have to have extremely good insulation to keep from burning up the craft before it ever reached 100 km.

Not many electronic boxes can take 2000 g's either. You could imagine sending fruit up that way, it would puree itself all over the bottom of the craft.

You could certainly send metal that way or other materials but not anything you want to be alive when it leaves the cannon.

Which is why they use very large rockets which limits acceleration to about 3 g's so humans can survive entry into orbit.

litup said:
If you are actually thinking of sending humans up that way, forget it. Suppose you had a 100 meter long cannon. Escape velocity is about 40,000 km/hr or about 11 km/second. It would take at least twice that velocity out the cannon to get to escape velocity because of atmospheric friction. Let's suppose you could achieve escape by doubling the cannon velocity to 22 km/second you would need to get to in 100 meters. The formula says it would take about 2000 g and the time in the cannon would be about 1/10th of a second. Of course, if a human was inside, she would be a mass of bloody skin and bones at the bottom of the vehicle and be quite dead before leaving the cannon.

I was wondering how to do the math because you would half to be in a constant state of acceleration. Wondering how to do that math taking gravity and air resistance into account.

PeroK said:
Try googling for "escape velocity".

Also isn't escape velocity the minimum velocity you would need to leave Earth implying a constant velocity. I am taking about the velocity it would take with one single push that it would take to leave earth.Thanks every one for the replies !

aiop said:
I was wondering how to do the math because you would half to be in a constant state of acceleration. Wondering how to do that math taking gravity and air resistance into account.
1. Set up a differential equation which includes air resistance as a function of altitude and velocity and gravity as a function of altitude.
2. Solve said equation.

The air resistance will depend on the size and shape of your projectile. Gravity will depend on its mass.

It is likely to be a difficult equation to solve. So a numerical approach may be easier. Solve the problem in time-reversed fashion. Drop the projectile at zero velocity at the edge of the atmosphere and iterate backwards in time as air resistance and gravity both accelerate it toward the Earth. Read out the final velocity just prior to impact.

aiop said:
I was wondering how to do the math because you would have to be in a constant state of acceleration. Wondering how to do that math taking gravity and air resistance into account.
You would not necessarily have to be in a constant state of acceleration (at least: not upwards ..). Witness the term escape velocity. But, just for assistance purposes, are you familiar with the basic equations for projectile trajectories ? SUVAT and such ?

jbriggs444 said:
Drop the projectile at zero velocity at the edge of the atmosphere and iterate backwards in time as air resistance and gravity both accelerate it toward the Earth. Read out the final velocity just prior to impact.
But that will give you the terminal velocity of free falling object, quite a bit lower than escape velocity (by a factor of approx. 25)

from: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/termv.html

Tom.G said:
But that will give you the terminal velocity of free falling object, quite a bit lower than escape velocity (by a factor of approx. 25)

from: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/termv.html
We are not asked for escape velocity, but only the velocity to reach "the boundary of space". Escape velocity is irrelevant to the question at hand.

jbriggs444 said:
We are not asked for escape velocity, but only the velocity to reach "the boundary of space". Escape velocity is irrelevant to the question at hand.
Good point. Actually, post #1 asks for an acceleration -- which we transmogrified to velocity. Once poster understands escape velocity, the step to velocity to reach 100 km is a small step for man ...

BvU said:
Good point. Actually, post #1 asks for an acceleration -- which we transmogrified to velocity.
Right. Calculating required acceleration in the cannon barrel is easy if you know the muzzle velocity (and barrel length, as @russ_watters has pointed out).

BvU said:
Good point. Actually, post #1 asks for an acceleration -- which we transmogrified to velocity. Once poster understands escape velocity, the step to velocity to reach 100 km is a small step for man ...

I was asking the question for the math point of view i know that its not escape velocity. I was asking with in 100km for an example, because i wanted to account for air resistance. I don't know the math of how to determine the initial velocity well accounting for an air resistance. That will be reduced as you go higher. Same with the variable of gravity.

BvU said:
SUVAT and such ?

Yes.. don't see how i could use those. In grade 12 so my knowledge is limited.

Thanks every one !

aiop said:
[in response to a suggestion to use the SUVAT equations]
Yes.. don't see how i could use those. In grade 12 so my knowledge is limited.
Do you feel that you know enough to attempt a calculation assuming a fixed acceleration of gravity and negligible air resistance?

jbriggs444 said:
Do you feel that you know enough to attempt a calculation assuming a fixed acceleration of gravity and negligible air resistance?

Yes.

aiop said:
Same with the variable of gravity
Come to think of it, gravity at 100 km isn't much less than at 0 km height (100 km is only 1/60 th of Earth radius). So if you keep g constant things will simplify considerably. Ignoring air resistance, the SUVAT equations (or an energy balance) give you a value (1.4 km/s) to start with.

Then, using trial and error you could take air drag into account (my estimate: a hefty increase in velocity required) to work towards a ground-level muzzle velocity.

Biggest (range) guns built had 140 km horizontal range, so the odds you can build something that shoots upwards to 100 km aren't favorable. Methinks.

Likes aiop

1. How fast does a spacecraft need to accelerate to reach space?

The speed required to reach space, also known as escape velocity, is about 25,000 miles per hour or 40,000 kilometers per hour. However, the exact speed can vary depending on factors such as the weight and design of the spacecraft.

2. What type of acceleration is needed to reach space?

To reach space, a spacecraft needs to undergo a type of acceleration called linear acceleration. This means that its velocity must increase in a straight line in order to overcome the Earth's gravitational pull.

3. How long does it take for a spacecraft to accelerate to reach space?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to accelerate to reach space can vary depending on its design and propulsion system. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to reach the required speed for space travel.

4. What is the role of thrust in acceleration to reach space?

Thrust is the force that propels a spacecraft forward and allows it to accelerate to reach space. It is generated by the spacecraft's engines and must be greater than the force of gravity in order to achieve escape velocity.

5. How does the Earth's rotation affect acceleration to reach space?

The Earth's rotation does not directly affect the acceleration required to reach space. However, launching a spacecraft from a location closer to the equator can take advantage of the Earth's rotational speed, making it easier to reach space with less fuel and a lower acceleration rate.