1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration versus time graph - constant increase in acceleration

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    On an acceleration vs time graph, how would an object move if there was a constant increase in acceleration? Is it possible to have an acceleration v time graph be curved?

Also, I'm seeing a pattern in the relationship between velocity vs time and acceleration vs time. Correct me if I'm wrong but when velocity has a positive slope, the acceleration is positive. When the slope is negative, the acceleration is negative too. Am I correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pattern you see is correct. THe slope of a v-t graph is the acceleration of the object at that moment.

As to your first statement, a constant increase in the rate of acceleration would appear as a sloped line on an a-t graph, and an upward curve on a v-t graph.

A curved line on an a-t graph would mean that not only was the acceleration increasing, but the rate at which the accelration increased was itself increasing.
  4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    For a a vs. t graph to be curved of course there would be, for example, and exponential acceleration.... i wasn't sure but i ploted one on my graphic calc using the points (1,2),(2,4),(3,16),(4,256) X being time, y being accel....if u graph it its a parabolic curve.

I don't see any conflicts with ur v vs t and a vs t relationship but i'm tired and i'm hittng my head so i can think. The only thing is since velocity is a vector and not a scalar.....it depends on ur frame of reference so it can get tricky...be careful on how u look at the graph
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?