1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration with friction

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks of wieghts 3.6N and 7.2N are connected by a massless string and slide down a 30 degree inclined plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction b/t the lighter block and the plane is 0.10, that b/t the heavier block and the plane is 0.20. Assuming the lighter block leads, find magnitude of acceleration of the blocks.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    Fcos(O)-fk-T=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I dunno, I just guessed at the above equations. Anyway, I'm pretty stuck on this problem (meaning I don't even know where to begin). It's the fact that the question didn't give any forces that threw me off, they just gave masses (and in N too).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    The force causing them to slide will be the force due to gravity.

F = ma -> F = mg

4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    Well, yeah, I thought of that, but wouldn't that just be the force in the y direction? Like, shouldn't there also be a force in the x direction, since it's on an inclined plane and all? That's the acceleration I'm having trouble finding. See, it's that that I was guessing at in the above equations.

Oh, and since they're connected on a string, wouldn't F=mg be Fy=T-mg, since there's supposedly some tension in the string as well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?