1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration word problem.

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The space shuttle undergoes an acceleration of 53.2 meters/second^2. How fast is it traveling at the end of 55.2 seconds?

2. Relevant equations
    not sure?

3. The attempt at a solution
    All i really need is the set up. I've gone through a page of equations in my physics book, and couldnt find anything - which of course could be me just missing it entirely.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If an object gains 53.2 m/s of speed every second, how fast is it going after one second? After two seconds? After 3 seconds? After 55.2 seconds?

As far as looking for equations goes, you want to find an equation that contains an "a" for acceleration, a "v" for final velocity (could be a Vf) , a "t' for time.

Also you want to be aware that initial velocity is assumed to be zero (might be a "u" or Vo).

Please be aware that your problems do not get any easier than this one. Don't give up, you get the knack for it after practice.

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    thank you! and thank you for the heads up, see what happened was i asked my friend and asked basically what you told me and he said he didnt think it was that (and he had taken physics last year).

thanks again :)

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Acceleration is change in velocity per unit time.

[tex]a=\frac{v_f-v_i}{t}[/tex]

if you assume vi=0 then, how would you get vf?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook