Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerator Labs in New England

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    The Bates Laboratory and the Harvard Cyclotron lab use to be the only two labs in New England that I knew of which had high enegy particle accelerators. The Harvard lab shut down and Bates lab will be shutting down in the future. There is a new lab in Boston at the Northeast Proton Therapy Center (has a cyclotron of ~290 MeV). I was wondering if anyone knew of any other accelerator labs in the New England area? Thanks.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is not exactly "New England", but Long Island, NY is not that far from the Boston area. And Brookhaven Lab is there. Or go to Ithaca NY. Cornell has accelerators galore...

Zz.

4. Jul 30, 2005 #3
    Cornell huh? Thanks! I was totally unaware of that. Where is Cornell again? I was aware of Brookhaven. I decided I want to live in New England though. Speaking of which, thanks. I see spelled New "England" wrong. :tongue: Can you correct that? I shot this off right before I went for a walk and that "looked" like the right spelling. However as more and more time goes by the more I think I'm a touch dyslexic. Thanks.

Pete

5. Jul 30, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Recall that I told you to "go" to Ithaca, NY. That's where Cornell is.

Zz.

6. Jul 30, 2005 #5
    Thanks. I didn't know that you were saying that Cornell is in Ithaca. I guess I incorrectly assumed (back in my mind) that you were telling me that Ithaca has accelerators and Cornell has accelerators. Or I missed the Ithica.

Thanks again.

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?