Accelerator Labs in New England

In summary, the only two labs in New England with high energy particle accelerators were the Bates Laboratory and the Harvard Cyclotron lab. However, the Harvard lab has shut down and the Bates lab will be shutting down in the future. There is a new lab in Boston, the Northeast Proton Therapy Center, which has a cyclotron of ~290 MeV. Other accelerator labs in the New England area include Brookhaven Lab in Long Island, NY and Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
pmb_phy
The Bates Laboratory and the Harvard Cyclotron lab use to be the only two labs in New England that I knew of which had high energy particle accelerators. The Harvard lab shut down and Bates lab will be shutting down in the future. There is a new lab in Boston at the Northeast Proton Therapy Center (has a cyclotron of ~290 MeV). I was wondering if anyone knew of any other accelerator labs in the New England area? Thanks.

Pete

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
The Bates Laboratory and the Harvard Cyclotron lab use to be the only two labs in New England that I knew of which had high energy particle accelerators. The Harvard lab shut down and Bates lab will be shutting down in the future. There is a new lab in Boston at the Northeast Proton Therapy Center (has a cyclotron of ~290 MeV). I was wondering if anyone knew of any other accelerator labs in the New England area? Thanks.

Pete

This is not exactly "New England", but Long Island, NY is not that far from the Boston area. And Brookhaven Lab is there. Or go to Ithaca NY. Cornell has accelerators galore...

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is not exactly "New England", but Long Island, NY is not that far from the Boston area. And Brookhaven Lab is there. Or go to Ithaca NY. Cornell has accelerators galore...

Zz.
Cornell huh? Thanks! I was totally unaware of that. Where is Cornell again? I was aware of Brookhaven. I decided I want to live in New England though. Speaking of which, thanks. I see spelled New "England" wrong. :tongue: Can you correct that? I shot this off right before I went for a walk and that "looked" like the right spelling. However as more and more time goes by the more I think I'm a touch dyslexic. Thanks.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Cornell huh? Thanks! I was totally unaware of that. Where is Cornell again?

Recall that I told you to "go" to Ithaca, NY. That's where Cornell is.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Recall that I told you to "go" to Ithaca, NY. That's where Cornell is.

Zz.
Thanks. I didn't know that you were saying that Cornell is in Ithaca. I guess I incorrectly assumed (back in my mind) that you were telling me that Ithaca has accelerators and Cornell has accelerators. Or I missed the Ithica.

Thanks again.

Pete

1. What are Accelerator Labs in New England?

Accelerator Labs in New England are collaborative spaces for scientists, engineers, and innovators to work together on developing and implementing new technologies and solutions. They are designed to accelerate the process of bringing scientific discoveries to the marketplace.

2. How do Accelerator Labs in New England operate?

Accelerator Labs in New England operate by providing resources such as labs, equipment, mentorship, and networking opportunities to scientists and innovators. They also often offer funding and support for developing and commercializing technologies.

3. Who can use Accelerator Labs in New England?

Accelerator Labs in New England are open to scientists, engineers, and innovators from all fields and backgrounds. They are particularly beneficial for early-stage startups and researchers looking to turn their ideas into viable products.

4. What are the benefits of using Accelerator Labs in New England?

The benefits of using Accelerator Labs in New England include access to state-of-the-art equipment, expert mentorship, networking opportunities, and potential funding for research and development. These labs also provide a supportive and collaborative environment for scientists and innovators to work together.

5. How can I find and apply to an Accelerator Lab in New England?

Many Accelerator Labs in New England have websites where you can learn more about their programs and application process. You can also search for local incubators or accelerators in your field and reach out to them directly to inquire about opportunities. Networking events and conferences are also great places to connect with potential accelerator programs.