1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelleration Through a Curve

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    If a car gradually changes a direction of 90 degrees at constant speed of 200 m/s over a time period of 20 seconds, then what is the accelleration?

I don't know if the way I worked it was correct. I think the only assumption is that the acceleration is constant.

[tex]a_x=\frac{v_xf-v_xi}{t}=\frac{0-200}{20}=-10[/tex]
    [tex]a_y=\frac{v_yf-v_yi}{t}=\frac{200-0}{20}=10[/tex]
    [tex]a=\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2}=\sqrt{(-10)^2+10^2}=10\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Does this seem right to you?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Assume it is a curve of constant radius. Work out the centripetal acceleration. Is there any tangential acceleration here? Take the vector sum of both accelerations.

AM

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3
    How would someone do that if the radius isn't given? I understand that
    [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
    but if there is no r value it seems hard to figure out the centripetal acceleration?

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use [itex]\theta = \omega t[/itex] and [itex]v = \omega R[/itex]

AM

6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}=\frac{v^2}{v/\omega}=v*\omega=v*\frac{\theta}{t}=200*\frac{\pi/2}{20}=5\pi[/tex]

Thanks for the help. How come the other way didn't work?

7. Sep 14, 2006 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because [itex]\sqrt{2} \ne \pi/2[/itex]. Close but not the same.

You will notice that the components do not change uniformly with time - it depends on the angle. You are taking the sum of the time average of each component over a quarter turn. Averages over time will be different than the instantaneous value unless the rate of change is uniform over time.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?