Acceptable GRE Score (Chemistry)

In summary: I would say that being proficient in organic chemistry is also important, but not as crucial as having a good GRE score.
scarecrow
What score is awful and what score is pretty impressive? I just took the test and I'm waiting on the scores to arrive soon.

thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've never actually taken it but I know movies has taken both the general GRE as well as the chemistry subtest.

Yes, I took both tests. I got a 770 on the chem test, which was 70% that year. I wasn't overly thrilled about my performance, but then again I hadn't taken any inorganic chemistry at the time and my school didn't offer a class in analytical chemistry. Also I found that the test only covered very basic organic chemistry, which is my specialty. Nonetheless, I got accepted at every grad school I applied to. All in all, I think that the score on your Chem GRE is less important than your score on the general GRE, which is in turn less important than your grades, which are slightly less important than whether or not you have experience working in a lab. As long as your chem test score is reasonably good then you should be fine. I think it is just there to show that your grades aren't a fluke.

One caveat, the chem GRE scores are invariably higher for foreign students applying to grad school in the US. Domestic students are almost always considered preferentially to foreign students, so the foreign applicants need to be superstars to get accepted.

Hope this helps.

One caveat, the chem GRE scores are invariably higher for foreign students applying to grad school in the US. Domestic students are almost always considered preferentially to foreign students, so the foreign applicants need to be superstars to get accepted.

Thats what all my professors say. Being able to speak English clearly is a huge plus for an American student applying to grad schools in America (since you will probably be teaching an undergraduate class or assisting students in a lab at some point).

Related to Acceptable GRE Score (Chemistry)

1. What is considered an acceptable GRE score for chemistry graduate programs?

The definition of an "acceptable" GRE score can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, a good rule of thumb is to aim for a score in the 70th percentile or higher, which is typically around a 160-165 for the verbal and quantitative sections and a 4.5-5.0 for the analytical writing section.

2. How important is the GRE score for admissions into a chemistry graduate program?

While the GRE score is one aspect of the application, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement are all important components as well. However, a strong GRE score can help strengthen your overall application and demonstrate your academic abilities.

3. Is there a difference in the acceptable GRE scores for different chemistry subfields?

Generally, there is not a significant difference in the acceptable GRE scores for different chemistry subfields. However, some programs may place more emphasis on certain sections depending on the focus of their research. For example, a program in analytical chemistry may place more weight on the quantitative section, while a program in organic chemistry may prioritize the verbal section.

4. Can a low GRE score be compensated for by other aspects of the application?

Yes, a lower GRE score can potentially be compensated for by strong letters of recommendation, research experience, and a well-written personal statement. Admissions committees take a holistic approach to reviewing applications and will consider all aspects before making a decision. However, it is important to aim for a competitive GRE score to increase your chances of acceptance.

5. How can I improve my GRE score for chemistry?

The best way to improve your GRE score for chemistry is to familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exam. There are many resources available, such as practice tests and study guides, that can help you prepare for the exam. It is also important to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as these are essential for success on the GRE. Additionally, consider seeking help from a tutor or taking a prep course if you need extra support.