1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accepted to Harvard for premed

1. Jun 10, 2007 #1
    I got accepted to Harvard
    but I don't really know what kind of subject that I have to take to make my application for medical school looks superior.
    Any advise?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2007 #2
    You got into Harvard, congratulations!

If you want to do medicine I would major in biology. Also, since you are at harvard, you HAVE to minor in business or politics if possible. You will work with the best in the world, have guest speakers, and have classmates that are the whos-who of society. - It will be amazing.

Milk Harvard for all its worth!

4. Jun 10, 2007 #3
    I thought about majoring in bioscience and bioengineering (double), how about that is it good and worth it?

5. Jun 10, 2007 #4
    My advice is dont do what you think is going to make you look good; rather, do what you know you will enjoy and love for the next 4 years.

If you do something just to make you 'look good' for med school, you might be stuck in a major you hate, or dont really like.

What exactly is bioscience? I know in terms of bioengineering, Hopkins is one of the best in the world; I think harvard is around 20 in the country. But still, its Harvard. You will get so much more by going to Harvard that it easily makes up for rankings.

6. Jun 10, 2007 #5
    bioscience is life science (make it more simple), is dealing with the structure and behavior of living organisms
    I got accepted into Hopkins also, but i chose Harvard because i got full scholarship, thats why. but I still prefer going to Hopkins (money is an issue).

7. Jun 10, 2007 #6
    Wow, thats great!

Keep your grades up, enjoy the full ride, and im telling you, go to EVERY guest speaker thats on campus. You will get to see heads of state, top scientists from around the world, congressmen, top Ceo's. I think that will make up for not going to Hopkins.

Just soak it up while your there, its going to be amazing.

8. Jun 11, 2007 #7
    Congrats. Are you an international student by any chance?

9. Jun 11, 2007 #8
    Study a subject that interests you. I had a classmate who was accepted to med school with a BA in English literature.

As an aside, there are a number of things about your post that really alarm me. There are the forgivable spelling (advise = advice) and grammar (looks = look) errors, which are somewhat appalling given that you should be able to write and spell in order to get into Harvard.

But there is also the more problematic issue of the demanding attitude that comes across in your post. You ask "what kind of subject do I HAVE to take to make my application for medical school LOOK superior". First off, nobody is forcing you to study something. Moreover, there is no major that is going to guarantee or prevent your acceptance to medical school, so long as you have a few essential biology and chemistry courses. And finally, your goal is to make your "application LOOK superior".... but why aren't you instead asking "what can i study to help myself become a good doctor?" Quite frankly, your righteous attitude and your concern for the facade you present in your applications makes me think that you would be a very bad doctor.

10. Jun 11, 2007 #9
    Heh wow. The OP, likely just finished high school, probably doesn't know that you can major in anything you want and still get in to medical school. Further, high school counselors and friends have probably have probably reinforced the belief that you have to make your application "look good" in order to get in somewhere. The same belief holds even for kids applying to undergrad schools. To be honest, you do have to sort of go above and beyond if you want to get in to the school of your choice.

The things that matter when applying to medical school:
    1) Overall GPA (ANY major. Like others have said, do what you like)
    2) GPA in the required premed courses
    3) MCAT scores
    4) Something like volunteering at a local hospital to get a better idea of what medicine is like and also to show that you know what you're getting yourself in to.
    5) Being able to write a good essay for your application and also interview well (assuming you make it that far in the process)

Not meaning to take people away from these forums, but you may be better off looking through the many MANY posts at www.studentdoctor.net . Its a dedicated forum for premed, med, resident, etc students.

Good luck

11. Jun 11, 2007 #10
    This is a bit off-topic, but I was under the impression that Ivy League Schools do not give out merit scholarships (or athletic).

12. Jun 11, 2007 #11
    Yes, I am an international student

You are right about my grammar, thats why I am going to take ESL (English as second language). I learned English by myself, from TV and books. Thats why my English still under development.

I said about the subject that I have to take is because in my country you have to take special subject to get into a medical school, so I thought its the same in USA.

the scholarship that I got is from my government not from Harvard. I got it from the government because I am the top one in my country based on my grades. The government said that If I went to Johns Hopkins I will not get a full ride. I don't know why, but you can't refuse the full ride, can you?

thanks thats really helped!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  13. Jun 11, 2007 #12
    Which country are you from, and what are the terms of your scholarship. Are you required to stay in your country for x-years and work for the government after you graduate?

14. Jun 11, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I would hate to be obligated to stay somewhere.

15. Jun 11, 2007 #14
    I am from Japan, the terms of my scholarship is after I graduate and get my license, I have to go back and work in my country. but before that I have to work in USA and develop my ability, and learn from the experience. After that If I want to start my own researches I can work with Tokyo University.

I am not required to work with the government, I have the choice for the place that I want to work in. But I have to work for two years in my country (kind of showing my gratitude toward my country)

16. Jun 11, 2007 #15
    you are the top student in your country :surprised or one of the top?

17. Jun 11, 2007 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And once he comes here, he will be the top student here.

18. Jun 11, 2007 #17

the top one, not one of the top.

19. Jun 11, 2007 #18
    I wouldnt....not if they are paying me full ride to harvard.

-Sayonara :wink:

Mannnn, if I was from Japan and number 1 I would do Robotics. You would be making a truck load of money back home and in the best market in the world for robotics.

I've heard your culture is geared towards science and technology. How true is that? That must be nice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  20. Jun 12, 2007 #19
    Have you ever been to America pharaoh? It will be interesting to see your reaction between the two countries in terms of culture and technology.

Keep in mind, while at Harvard, you will be among the top of American society. So try if you can, to get away from campus and see the 'regular joe blow' to get a feel for American culture. The people at Harvard are not going to be your typical guy off the street. (though, your not the typical guy from Japan either, :wink:)

I saw a program on the news about some guys from the top school in India, (ITT-dehli?) that came to places like MIT and Harvard for graduate school. They said it was a joke for them compared to India. I take it they are much more serious about education in Japan than over here.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  21. Jun 12, 2007 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC or this thread will be locked and some of you will be smacked with more infractions for hijacking a thread.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?