1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accerlation Question

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    An automobile moves forward and backward on a straight highway.The graph shows the velocity of this automobile as a function of time.

BIOZAcE.gif

What is the acceleration of the automobile at t = 4 s? (Round to two significant digits.)

a = change in velocity / time

I said the acceleration was zero, because the automobile would be stopped at t = 4 s. This is wrong, however.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it is wrong. The automobile may be stopped, but acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It's just in between moving forwards and moving backwards. Try that again.

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    The question is asking for the acceleration at exactly 4 s, so if I used the formula a = v/t I would get a = 0/4, which is 0.

The answer is -10, but I don't understand why when that acceleration is reached a second later.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's because acceleration is the slope of your velocity curve. It's not v/t. It's dv/dt, the derivative or approximately Δv/Δt if you pick two points around your point. It's the rate of change of velocity, not v/t. As you almost said to begin with it's (change of velocity)/(change of time).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted