1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accessible Intro to BEC

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    I'm a Junior-year physics major and I've just gotten an invitation to do some theoretical research with a couple of the professors at my school, which I'm really excited about. They're looking at Bose-Einstein condensation of molecules with electric dipole interactions, so although I get the gist of it and I'm sure I'll be able to handle my small part, a lot of it is over my head. I would like to learn as much about the subject as possible to get a better sense of the project as a whole. Obviously my professors will be the best resource, but they'll only have so much time to meet with me and I always like to have something to stare at and work through at home. But every text I've found online about many-body problems is intended for third or fourth year graduate students. I know it's not really a subject intended for undergrads, but I was hoping to find some kind of resource that could be tackled at something like an early graduate / advanced undergrad level. Maybe there's nothing like that floating around, but I thought I'd ask just to see. Does anyone know of any resources that would fit the bill?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Superconductors, Superfluids and Condensates by Annett is a fantastic introduction aimed at senior undergrads and first year grad students. It should definitely bein your reach to work through a substantial portion of it on your own:
    https://www.amazon.com/Superconduct...r=8-1&keywords=physics+superconductors+oxford

Invitation to contemporary physics by Kumar Kim and Lam has a superb chapter on BEC as well as other areas of physics that may interest you (nanoscale devices, superconductors, lasers, etc). It is written at a level a sophomore or junior could jump right in and tackle, but it covers things quite superficially.
    https://www.amazon.com/Invitation-C...1&keywords=invitation+to+contemporary+physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook