Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accident prone test

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I scored a 30, but it was really hard to answer a lot of the questions. I'm ultra-safe and focused at work because I work in a hazardous environment, and I like my limbs the way they are -- attached!!

But on my own time I relax and take a lot more risks.

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I scored 26
    There are some things I'll take risks on, like moving to new places, taking new jobs, starting out new projects that might fail, but when it comes to keeping my body parts in one piece, I'm very cautious, and get pretty annoyed if people around me aren't equally cautious (since their lack of caution also puts my body parts at risk).

5. Sep 17, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I scored 19. It appears that not wanting to visit 3rd world countries makes me a wimp. :uhh:

Is it even safe for Evo to take this test? What if she blows up the computer?

6. Sep 17, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm actually really curious to see what our more accident prone members score. I'm somehow shocked that you scored lower than me! You're really not living up to your nickname here, are you? :biggrin:

7. Sep 17, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Purely a misinterpretation of the name on your part, my dear. I am dangerous to others who irritate me, while doing my level best to maintain my own bodily integrity.

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I scored a 33. I'm surprised I didn't score lower. I may not avoid risk at all costs, but I at least make sure I know exactly what the risk is before I do it.

In other words, I'm the type of person that might do something like try to iron my shirt while I'm wearing it, but I'd analyze the situation before hand and find a safe way to do it.

9. Sep 17, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got 17.

"According to the behavioral, attitudinal and personality scales on this test, you are an extremely cautious and rigid person. You can certainly be trusted to follow the safety rules, but you may be paralyzed by fear when it comes to having to take risks. You need structure and a stable, unchanging environment to feel secure."

I'm a wuss.

10. Sep 17, 2008 #9
    I scored a lot lower than I would have predicted, but most of the questions were about safety at work, and I try to be safe at work or when others are in the crossfire. I got a 61.

11. Sep 17, 2008 #10
    I got a 50, I don't really know how their scale works...

12. Sep 18, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Aha, I thought i was quite a safe person so scoring 55 was a bummer, so now we a 61er
    6 more than me :biggrin:

13. Sep 18, 2008 #12

Borek

Staff: Mentor

28, but I suppose I could easily get either 5 or 95, as most questions are obvious. But I did my best to be honest.

"According to the behavioral, attitudinal and personality scales on this test, you seem to walk on the cautious side, rather than the wild side, when it comes to taking risks. You are not completely paralyzed by risk - but you don't actively seek it out either."

And I feel that fits.

14. Sep 18, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I scored a 14

Interpretation

According to the behavioral, attitudinal and personality scales on this test, you are an extremely cautious and rigid person. You can certainly be trusted to follow the safety rules, but you may be paralyzed by fear when it comes to having to take risks. You need structure and a stable, unchanging environment to feel secure.

I'm not afraid of taking risks, I prefer not to. I am cursed, freak accidents always happen to me. I am always being told "I have never seen that happen to anyone before" "that's the first time that's ever malfunctioned", etc...

15. Sep 18, 2008 #14
    26, sharing the interpretation with Borek

16. Sep 18, 2008 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I scored a 42 but I guess a lot of that is down to having a short attention spa....

ooh shiny red ball. :biggrin:

17. Sep 18, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

So far then,
    14 Evo, super safe but super unlucky.
    17 MIH.
    19 for Danger, scratches head ?
    26 for Moonb and Andre.
    28 for Borek.
    33 for BobG
    42 for Kurdt.
    55 for Wolram.
    61 for Tibdog.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  18. Sep 18, 2008 #17
    22, which seems about right for me.

19. Sep 18, 2008 #18

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But one problem with this test is that quite a few questions only make sense if you assume that managers, health&safety people etc where you work actually understands the risks.
    Where I work they don't, most of the stuff they do worry about is trivial or just plain nonsense which means most of us break the rules now and then.
    But when it comes to the things that can really be dangerous we are all very careful and follow all the "unofficial" rules (unoffical since there are no official ones).

20. Sep 18, 2008 #19

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I scored 14 too, same as Evo, and got the same "interpretation" text.

I was nearly too cautious to visit the site at all. I wonder if that effect will skew their results?

I'm not sure how accurate the site actually is; I'm always tripping over things at home, usually things which the kids have left in unexpected places such as on the stairs, even though I try to be careful and keep telling them not to put anything down in unsafe places (as if that would work!). That's especially likely when I wander around in my reading glasses. However, I'd agree that I'm not prone to serious accidents, or breaking things other than treading on misplaced toys.

Also, I'm perfectly capable of handling a crisis without panic or hesitation and I'm quite happy to break rules when necessary.

How many suckers are going to pay for the detailed results, then?

21. Sep 18, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Mostly i was the only one from my dept working the night shift and had the most responsibility,
    so i upheld the rules i thought important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?